What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check your Nuts!

polishpilot

Well Known Member
I was able to get my wings installed with the help of 3 fellow RV friends on Jan. 29; but not without a funny incident. I had trouble attempting to get a nut attached on one of the close tolerance bolts. Anyone who has been there know how difficult it can be even getting into a position to get these nuts on. I literally took about a half hour struggling with the nylok nut. And then, out of the blue, I decided to check and see if the threads were damaged. They were not; in fact, they were not even there!! You got it. nut never finished the machining process----no threads.

P1030706_zps3569265e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1030705_zpscb7c2d82.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

not that unusual

I've encountered titanium hi-loks without threads and those thing are not cheap!

Quality control? Thought the expensive aircraft stuff was supposed to be checked really close? That is funny, I can see myself trying to get that nut started :D

do not ever tap

A aircraft nut! They are rolled not cut.

Holy Smooth Bore Batman!

I think that is one of those early prototype rivet heads with the self locking feature, before threads were discovered! Wow and someone has the matching rivet too! That is right up there with the engineer who designed, drew, and ordered a new camshaft for an I-6 engine that fired 1-2-3-4-5-6.

That stuff belongs in a museum!

Last edited:
You sure that isn't a press fit nut? Just requires a slightly different yolk for your squeezer.

I have a matching bolt here at work somewhere for that nut also.

Last September, my 1918 Anzani engine actually did go to a museum. It was a 6-cylinder radial with a firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6.

Yes, really - it was a twin-row 3.

Dave
RV-3B
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=100740&highlight=Anzani

That is interesting, and only possible due to the radial and master connecting rod configuration. I guess the joke was too much inside (crank, get it) for non-engine guys. Balance and dynamic forces would render an inline 6 unusable with that firing order.

I bet that radial sounded cool!

Title of Thread

Title of thread had me concerned there were new inspections required by the AME. Boy was I relieved.

Back