What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long-term storage of new inner tubes

smiller

Well Known Member
Patron
I bought my RV-7A several months ago but at the rate I'm building, it may be years before I am to the point of installing the tires. Someone told me they were in a similar situation and when they finally unpacked their inner tubes, "they basically fell apart at the folds!" He had to buy new inner tubes.

So my questions to the wise ones on this forum are: is there a "best" way to store new inner tubes long-term (as in years) and still have them be as close to "like new" as possible? Inflate them a bit so there are no folds and store them in a dry area away from extreme temperatures? Build up the wheels now and install tube and tires and inflate and store that way? Or was it a fluke that that fella's long-term storage of deflated and folded inner tubes went bad? (I can't tell you the brand off-hand; only that they came with the kit as shipped by Van's.)

Thanks in advance!

Shannon, This from the desser tire site. You might also consider storing them in your refrig. Larry

Q.

Is there a standard age limit or "shelf life" for aircraft tires?

A.
NO. The shelf life of a tire is entirely dependent on the storage conditions. Proper storage of tires includes keeping them away from fluorescent lighting or other bright light, electrical motors, oil or chemicals, and sharp objects. Even with optimal storage conditions, a thorough tire inspection prior to installation is recommended.

Ozone is what kills rubber tires... plus sunlight (or any light). Maybe the best thing is to put them into a ziploc and purge the bag with nitrogen before sealing. And then double-bag them, since ziplocs are somewhat gas-permeable.

Or, sell them here and buy new ones once you're ready for them.

Heinrich

+1 on the tubes

I ordered a set from Desser to put on a friends F1 Rocket . These were folded by Desser and shoved into the tires and shipped. I went to install them on his condition inspection ....they were cracked when I unfolded them! Not to mention that they were two different style ( vendors) I guess! The owner called Desser and got a refund on the tubes. I found a set of leak guard tubes locally and installed them. I agree with the previous poster....wait till you need them...

Makes me wonder how long the folded up spare tube in my baggage compartment might last! Seems worthwhile to pull them out at annual and at least refold them differently.

Greg

After getting my finishing kit, I put the tires on the rims and aired them up. I also took the spare nose wheel tube out of the box and put air in it so it would not be laying around rotting in the folds. Worked great.

Back