What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh Air Vent support wrong bend

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Doing some dry fit testing on the F14186-L and vent SV-10-L. Also R side has same issue.

According to page 29-22 RV14 rev1 figure 1 they should be flush to the skin and each other but on my parts it appears that the bend in the F-14186 is not in the correct space. Resulting in a 9/32 gap between the front of the vent SV-5 and the F-14186 bracket if the bracket is mounted flush to the skin as depicted on fig 1. I can slide the bracket backwards to make a flush fit on both parts but then the opening and pre drilled holes in the F-14186 bracket do not center correctly on the vent and NACA scoop.

Possible fix is to create a spacer between the parts or if the part was bent out of spec, send me 2 new ones.

Enclosing 3 pictures one head on showing the vent with bracket lined up correctly and the second showing the resulting gap if the assembly is flush to the skin. 3rd is pic from plans.

Tech support answer is below.

This is a common situation and there is a bit of work required to get the best fit here, maybe by making a spacer as you suggest. There have been no out of spec F-14186 parts found historically.

If there are other out of spec brackets out there it might be easier to get a replacement sent if we all mention the issue as apparently this currently does not warrant a replacement. So my suggestion is check your fit you might need to adjust a bit.

Attachments

• vent.png
    vent.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Vent side.jpg
    Vent side.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Vent front.jpg
    Vent front.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Back