What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hoping to finish the POH!

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
It is deepest winter and I am hopful that I can finally finish my POH and Condition Inspection list. I am looking to confirm data I have and hope to find pointers to source data / information. I have a Lycoming YIO-390-EXP98 which I think equates to an A3B6.

I am trying to sort out several part numbers and some torque values.

Suction Screen Crush Gasket: the Lycoming IO-390-A Series Engine Illustrated Parts Catalog dated July 2016 shows the Oil Sump Screen on page 38 (see diagram). The illustration does not show a crush gasket for 15 – Fitting, Sump Oil Suction. I think there should be one, yes? Is #18 the correct part (see table)?

Sparkplug Torque value – The Lycoming Service Table of Limits and Torque Value Recommendations shows 420 inch lbs. / 12 = 35 Ft lbs. I am clear on this for standard aviation plugs. What is the torque value of Automotive style with adapters? I have a single PMAG with Denso Iridium IKH27 plugs and have written down 15-22 ft lbs for torque but don’t recollect where I got this. Is there a reference that I can use to validate this?

Magneto Nuts: Similarly, The Lycoming Service Table of Limits and Torque Value Recommendations document has torque reference values for the Magneto nut for Slicks of 120 to 300 inch lbs (10 to 25 ft lbs). I could not find a value for the PMAG nuts, should I use the MAG torque values?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• LycomingPartsPage38.PNG
    LycomingPartsPage38.PNG
    147.7 KB · Views: 152
  • LycomingPartsPage39.PNG
    LycomingPartsPage39.PNG
    101.5 KB · Views: 143
Sparkplug Torque value – The Lycoming Service Table of Limits and Torque Value Recommendations shows 420 inch lbs. / 12 = 35 Ft lbs. I am clear on this for standard aviation plugs. What is the torque value of Automotive style with adapters? I have a single PMAG with Denso Iridium IKH27 plugs and have written down 15-22 ft lbs for torque but don’t recollect where I got this. Is there a reference that I can use to validate this?

From the PMag installation manual, "install the adapters with the supplied gasket on the spark plugs finger tight, then insert the combined assembly (plug with adapter) in the engine and tighten to 18 ft/lb through the spark plug only. Do not torque the adapter itself."

Back