What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Tube Dimension

asw20c

Well Known Member
On page 23-07, rev 0, the last paragraph in step 1 says that the aft torque tube subassembly gets clocked using a block 1-1/64" placed under the bolt in the arm of the subassembly, however when looking at figure 2 the dimension is 1-1/32". Yes, I know this is a difference of about .015", but I have been making an effort to build as precisely as I can so it would be nice to know which is the correct dimension. I called Van's this morning to ask about the conflict and the gentleman I spoke with said he had never been called about this before so he would have to ask the engineering office before getting back with me. Frankly I'm a bit surprised someone hasn't called them about this before since the conflict is not subtle. Can someone who has already completed this step tell me how they resolved the difference?

On page 23-07, rev 0, the last paragraph in step 1 says that the aft torque tube subassembly gets clocked using a block 1-1/64" placed under the bolt in the arm of the subassembly, however when looking at figure 2 the dimension is 1-1/32". Yes, I know this is a difference of about .015", but I have been making an effort to build as precisely as I can so it would be nice to know which is the correct dimension. I called Van's this morning to ask about the conflict and the gentleman I spoke with said he had never been called about this before so he would have to ask the engineering office before getting back with me. Frankly I'm a bit surprised someone hasn't called them about this before since the conflict is not subtle. Can someone who has already completed this step tell me how they resolved the difference?

It says in both places (the written instruction & Fig 1.) 25.8 mm which is 1-1/64.
I would think the drawing is a typo. I would think it is a big enough difference to be a concern.
Good catch.

But what about the weld bead on the CS-00009?

I find this discussion somewhat puzzling/amusing. There is a weld bead on the bottom of the CS-00009 arm, which is supposed to be flat on the table. Who thinks anybody at Van's or their welding vendor controls the height of the weld bead on the CS-00009 arm very closely?

According to the WIKI (see signature) we are now on Rev 2 on the wing plans.

You might want to check the WIKI before doing the steps on the paper plans. Rev 1 of that page changed the dimensions.

:)

Thanks for pointing out the revision to Section 23

Thanks for pointing out the 12/03/20 revisions to Section 23 of the RV-14 Builder's Manual. My paper copy has those revisions, but the electronic copy I had on my laptop did not.

Back