What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplates- rear Fuse (page 10-20)

AusFlyingBear

Hello all,

I'm having trouble understanding the nutplates on the longeron on page 10-20. See attached image

Do these get installed inside the longeron or are they installed on the outside of the skin

Outside seems wrong to me but that's the way I thnk the plans are saying. Won't this leave a gap between the skin and fairing that you don't want?

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-27 221432.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-27 221432.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 283
I found at times that the printed pages were not all that clear. If uncertain I would go to the digital plans and zoom it. Found it helpful.

You'll never find a nutplate on the outside of a structure. These are for attachment of the emp fairing later so they always go inside the structure.

Just curious are you familiar with the WIKI Plans? I have the exact same question already on there. The Wiki has ALL RV14 VAF threads posted to the appropriate pages on the plans so that you can see common questions and gotcha's

See link bellow.

Do the screw holes get dimpled as well for nutplates? The #40 holes the plans are very clear about. The other holes no so much, as there are #27 holes along with #30. Some of the #30's the plans point out others I had to go find the parts the skins rivet too to confirm #30 not #27. But the bolt holes I am trying to find the usage in the plans to find the bolt.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean by bolt holes. Don't remember any Bolts being used there. How about a screen grab and or page reference?

Do the bolt holes get dimpled as well? The #40 holes the plans are very clear about. The other holes no so much, as there are #27 holes along with #30. Some of the #30's the plans point out others I had to go find the parts the skins rivet too to confirm #30 not #27. But the bolt holes I am trying to find the usage in the plans to find the bolt.

Refer 12-11 Step 4.

Step 4: Machine countersink the #27 holes in the empennage fairing for
#6 flush screws before removing the fairing from the Aft Fuselage
Assembly. Countersinks that are slightly too shallow are preferred in
fiberglass.

This step is referring to the Fiberglas fairing. Since the mating surface will be flat, no need to dimple or countersink underneath.

Was that the question?

Still confused about bolts. The only bolts on the EMP I can think of mount the rudder and Stab.

Attachments

• Fairing.png
    Fairing.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Fairing2.png
    Fairing2.png
    720.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Bolt 1.png
    Bolt 1.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Bolts2.png
    Bolts2.png