What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Suggested build sequence & kit/parts purchase

Carlpretzel

Patron
Good evening,
I haven't been on the forum in a very long time. I am working on the lower longerons for the fuselage:) I have the finish kit on order so here is my build plan does it make sense? Is something missing? This is very vague I know.

Order/ purchase
1. Firewall forward kit
2. Interior
3. Wheels, brakes, tires
4. Engine & prop
5. Instrument panel with A.P. components

This is not rv14 specific but for my RV8, the firewall forward and the finish kit were the last two I worked on. Of course the FF is related to the engine. You will also be working on the cowl and the rest of the finishing kit at the same time.

As stated in the other replies, if you have the funds, buy all of them now because of the long backlog. If you are retired and work on your rv14 full-time, you will need the kits before long. Order them now so you can work on them as you get there, and to lock in the prices. They aren't coming down.

This is not rv14 specific but for my RV8, the firewall forward and the finish kit were the last two I worked on. Of course the FF is related to the engine. You will also be working on the cowl and the rest of the finishing kit at the same time.

As stated in the other replies, if you have the funds, buy all of them now because of the long backlog. If you are retired and work on your rv14 full-time, you will need the kits before long. Order them now so you can work on them as you get there, and to lock in the prices. They aren't coming down.

I'm a working class stiff:( I build her in the evenings after work when I'm not that stressed out. I've been reading about the long lead times. I order my finish kit last May so I'm feeling that too. Another issue I have in NC is hangar space or lack there of.

The one area that is subject to more changes and newer equipment is the avionics. So if you have the funds, you can purchase things so you have them when you need them. Of course it is not good for an engine to sit in your garage for 5 years, but that goes without saying

Back