What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic training in SoCal?

csgj

Had my 6A for about a year and would like to do some "gentleman aerobatics" but would like some instruction with my plane. I went thru all 3 modules of Rick Stowell's EMT and aerobatic training several years ago and the only thing I remember is how to get out of a spin:mad:
Any leads on instructors in the Southern California area (or fairly close) that can help while using my plane?
Thanks!
Craig

CP

What's wrong with staying with CP in Santa Paula? Did they stop giving this type of instruction?

The folks at CP aviation were top notch when I was there 10 years ago. Being close to Aqua Dulce and all, that's where I'd go.

Had my 6A for about a year and would like to do some "gentleman aerobatics" but would like some instruction with my plane. I went thru all 3 modules of Rick Stowell's EMT and aerobatic training several years ago and the only thing I remember is how to get out of a spin:mad:
Any leads on instructors in the Southern California area (or fairly close) that can help while using my plane?
Thanks!
Craig

CP Aviation is one of the better known outfits in SoCAL.

One of the lesser known instructors is Ron Rapp. He is familiar with RVs and have helped several RVers with checkouts, transition training, and acro.

Here is a link to what he has to say about RV Acro.

Last edited:
CP Aviation is one of the better known outfits in SoCAL.

One of the lesser known instructors is Ron Rapp. He is familiar with RVs and have helped several RVers with checkouts, transition training, and acro.

Here is a link to what he has to say about RV Acro.

Thanks, Gary! Someone also mentioned 5g Aviation and Ty Frisby. I'm one of the original "5" instructors there and have worked with Ty for a long time at 5g, Sunrise Aviation, Dynamic Aviation, in the IAC, and elsewhere. In fact I just finished an AOPA editor's tailwheel endorsement for an article in the AOPA Pilot magazine.

Anyway, I love the RV series and am always happy to fly with an RVator! I've got instructional experience in all the two-seat RVs, both tailwheel and nosewheel versions. Feel free to email me ([email protected]) or call (714-743-0360).

Happy holidays!

--Ron

Thanks for the info everyone!

Ron
I will contact you after the holidays!
My EMT training at CP aviation was with co-owner Judy Phelps, who was not too keen about teaching in a RV when I mentioned I was looking for a plane a couple of years back. She mentioned a RV fatality doing aerobatic practice and was a little hesitant in teaching.
Not sure of the views of Rich or the other instructors at CP aviation but I met Diane and dont think she teaches in RV's either.:confused:
However, Judy was a great teacher during my EMT training and would highly recommend her.
Craig

Rich and RVs

I took some aerobatic training with Rich Stowell out of McCall Idaho this past summer. We used his Decathlon, however he mentioned that he has done training in RV's in the past, and was willing to train me in my -4 if it had dual controls.

Back