What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screw size

jimkwalton

On my -14 wheel pants, there are very smal machine screws with nut plates. I tried to replace one but had the wrong size and broke the nut plate. My question is where do I get those small sized screws and what size are they?

On my -14 wheel pants, there are very smal machine screws with nut plates. I tried to replace one but had the wrong size and broke the nut plate. My question is where do I get those small sized screws and what size are they?

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, Micro-fasteners, McMaster-Carr, direct from Van’s . . . They are readily available and you will need to develop a number of material sources during your build. Oh, and you will be on a first name basis with your postperson and UPS when your build is finished. : )

I purchase 25-50 from ACS of the most common #6 & #8 screws along with spare nut plates of various sizes. Tried ordering just what I thought I needed and paying more for deliveries every week than the cost of the hardware. Finally bit the bullet and built an inventory of commonly used nuts, bolts, and screws, etc.

If they’re the screws that attach the front and rear pieces, they are AN507C632R8. The ones that attach the aft fairing piece to the brackets, they are AN507C832R8. Aircraft Spruce is a very common source for that kind of stuff, especially if you need other aircraft “stuff”. McMaster Carr is a great source for hardware in general. Vans is a good source if you’re also ordering RV specific “stuff”, but not nearly as quick to ship as the others.

Just a suggestion that if you are a non-builder owner you should at least order the pdf plans for that aircraft from Vans. Having them is important for just the question you ask about but also for any A&P who might work on your aircraft and/or do condition inspections in the future.

As other have said, order the PDF plan from Vans so you know the call-outs for all the various screws. Most of them will be the same size which are #6-32 and #8-32 screws. If you broke the nutplate then you may be using coarser threaded screws.

For the broken nutplate, ask an A/P to fix it because if you aren't familiar with aircraft construction, it is easy to mess up and make it worse. Or ask your local EAA club member to help.

Here is a list of hardware I want to have in stock for condition inspections. Stuff always gets lost or buggered.

Hardware List
· AN507 632R6 96
· AN507C632R4 10
· AN507C632R6 47
· AN507C632R8 158
· AN507C832R8 61
· AN5098R8 48
· AN515-8R8 23
· AN525 832R8 10
· AN526C632R4 4
· AN526C632R6 16
· AN526C632R8 16