What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monkworkz

Isaac

Well Known Member
My Planepower 60amp alternator recently failed at 430 hours on the Hobbs. It had been telling me for a while that something wasn't right as its regulated output was slowly decreasing. I had decided that if/when it did fail I was not going to replace it with another Planepower.

When the Monkworkz MZ-30L was announced on the VAF, it looked like a viable option for me because except for the on/off switch, it is a completely firewall forward installation.

This past weekend, I completed the installation of the MZ-30L generator/regulator in my RV6. The Installation manual that is provided is very good with details and explanations. The install materials wiring, terminals etc. that came with the unit was very complete. Now that it is up and operating, needless to say, I am very impressed. The 30 amp max output is more that adequate for my IFR equipped aircraft which even with pitot heat and all external lighting etc. is only requiring around 16 amps. Most of the time I only see between 9 and 12 amps being needed. The regulated output of 14.4 VDC of the MZ-30L is slightly higher than the 14.2 VDC the Planepower provided and I think a better match for my Odyssey PC-680.

For now, the Monkworkz is going to be my the primary voltage source. But the built in capability to configure the MZ-30L to operate as a backup generator to a primary alternator with a simple pin change at the regulator and no additional aircraft wiring changes required is a feature I may take advantage of in the future.

Attachments

• Monkworkz(2).jpg
    Monkworkz(2).jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Monkworkz(1).jpg
    Monkworkz(1).jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 152
Back