What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Insurance Question

tgraytn

A couple of questions regarding insurance:

1.) Is there any type of insurance that is available while a kit is being built? I plan to get contents coverage for my shop but was curious if there is anything else that would cover it for things such as fire, theft, tornado etc.

2.) I am currently a low time pilot (53 total hours) with no tail wheel endorsement, however I do plan to add this while I'm building my kit. In the event that I am not able to do so before my kit is complete, does anyone have any idea if I can get coverage and also what the approximate premium would be? Just throwing this out to see if "anyone else is in my shoes" and have approached an insurance provider.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Tom

1. Builders insurance (not in motion) is available. Call Nationair or other broker that deals with Experimentals. Cost seems to be about 0.7-0.8% of stated value, per year.

2. If you do not have a tailwheel endorsement you cannot be PIC in an -8, so of course no one will insure you for that. Although there was a recent rule change, I think it is still prohibited for you to get dual in your plane during your phase one test period. Call Nationair and ask them about the cost for a 100 hour total, 10 hours tailwheel (assumes you rent a plane and get the endorsement) pilot. Be prepared to be shocked.

Last edited:
1. Builders insurance (not in motion) is available. Call Nationair or other broker that deals with Experimentals. Cost seems to be about 0.7-0.8% of stated value, per year.

2. If you do not have a tailwheel endorsement you cannot be PIC in an -8, so of course no one will insure you for that. Although there was a recent rule change, I think it is still prohibited for you to get dual in your plane during your phase one test period. Call Nationair and ask them about the cost for a 100 hour total, 10 hours tailwheel (assumes you rent a plane and get the endorsement) pilot. Be prepared to be shocked.

Thanks Bob! Hmmm, it sounds like I should consider finding someone to go in half with me on a cheap Cub and fly it a lot while I'm building mine in order to gain tailwheel time...

Start your TW training now and work on getting endorsement ASAP. Then just build time and any time you get a ride in an RV, log it! They never ask about landings in type, just time in type. Then get some transition training before your first flight. That will add to your RV TW total and reduce your insurance costs.

Last edited:
I had thousands of hours when I built my -8, but zero TW time :(

I called NationAir and gave them a "plan":

- I would fly a minimum of 10 hours in a C-170B and obtain my TW endorsement.

- Fly another minimum 10 hours in a -8 for transition training

Note: I had a not so smart friend :D with an 8 who let me fly it from the backseat :eek: and then transitioned me into the front of his 8 where NO ONE but him ever sat!!!

I don't think that it is likely you will find someone so accomedating and you will have to seek out transition training in a -6 or -7.

Good luck!

Thanks Bob! Hmmm, it sounds like I should consider finding someone to go in half with me on a cheap Cub and fly it a lot while I'm building mine in order to gain tailwheel time...

Highly recommend that. It's easy to spend all your money on building and forget to fly and then you end up with little currency when the RV-8 is done. If you get into a Cub (Cub's are actually not the cheapest option) or similar taildragger and get a few hours transition training when you are done building you will have no issues finding reasonable insurance through any of the brokers which deal with experimental.

Another question you need to ask yourself is who you want to do your phase 1 test flying. If you want to do it yourself I would recommend to get much more experience then just the bare insurance requirements of the least restrictive insurance company... .

Oliver

Highly recommend that. It's easy to spend all your money on building and forget to fly and then you end up with little currency when the RV-8 is done. If you get into a Cub (Cub's are actually not the cheapest option) or similar taildragger and get a few hours transition training when you are done building you will have no issues finding reasonable insurance through any of the brokers which deal with experimental.

Another question you need to ask yourself is who you want to do your phase 1 test flying. If you want to do it yourself I would recommend to get much more experience then just the bare insurance requirements of the least restrictive insurance company... .

Oliver

Thanks Oliver! What would be another taildragger option for me that would be affordable?

Cheap tailwheels

A decent Champ is also going to be fairly expensive. You might also look at a Cessna 120 or 140. Lots of bang for the buck with these little Cessna's. Nice little airplanes, most all have electrical systems and they have factory metal spars. There are some old AD's but nothing too alarming.

It would be pretty easy to find an airplane for 20K that could be flown for several hundred hours and then sold at a similar/same price point.

A decent Champ is also going to be fairly expensive. You might also look at a Cessna 120 or 140. Lots of bang for the buck with these little Cessna's. Nice little airplanes, most all have electrical systems and they have factory metal spars. There are some old AD's but nothing too alarming.

It would be pretty easy to find an airplane for 20K that could be flown for several hundred hours and then sold at a similar/same price point.

Thanks Robert! I have already found several 140's and one is close to me! :)

I'd suggest finding someplace with a Citabria. Those will rent for a low price, especially the 7ECA models with the small engine, no flaps or fuel injection, etc.

Another vote for the 140.

Airborne, they are nothing at all like an RV (but exactly like underpowered Cessna 150).

The touchdown however, is -exactly- like an RV8, but with less control authority. If you can gracefully and safely land a 120/140, the RV-8 will be no problem.

Back