What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Pattern Work on a Cool Day

colojo

Well Known Member
Did a few circuits around the pattern in my RV-8 today. It was the first time I've taken it up on a cool day... temps were in the mid 40's and DA was below my field elevation of 5,800' for a change.

Holy smokes, can that beast climb! I was absolutely blown away! I was taking off on the short runway and reaching pattern altitude (1,000'AGL) before turning crosswind.

Loving this beautiful airplane more and more each time I fly her....

Last edited:
Did a few circuits around the pattern in my RV-8 today. It was the first time I've taken it up on a cool day... temps were in the mid 40's and DA was below my field elevation of 5,800' for a change.

Holy smokes, can that beast climb! I was absolutely blown away! I was taking off on the short runway and reaching pattern altitude (1,000'AGL) before turning crosswind.

Loving this beautiful airplane more and more each time I fly her....

Fun isn't it? :)

Granted I'm at sea level, but with half tanks solo the other day temps in the 50's I was out of the top of the Class D at my airport before I got to the end of the runway. :D

Ahh, yes. I was just explaining to my mother the other day how cool dry weather makes pilots and airplanes giddy with excitement :). The anticipation of going to the airport during the first real cool snap of the year is a joy to behold.

Yes its been absolutely perfect in Georgia. Cool days, light winds, absolutely clear as a bell for the most part.

And here I sit, without a running airplane. :eek:

If you think that's fun, try it at sea level on a cool winter day. :) I was flying an RV-6 that Ty had for sale and at solo weight with 3/4 fuel I was doing the same thing. Pattern altitude before the end of a 5000' runway, especially on the touch-and-gos. I flew that airplane in the pattern with LSAs, P-51s, Pitts, and other airplanes and never had any trouble maintaining easy spacing. Even a 0.3 flight was enough to leave a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Oh yes, love the departure call "Aurora State traffic RV eight hotel golf crosswind, 2000 climbing departing West last call Aurora"

ATC: Experimental, what direction are you going to leave my airspace?
Experimental: Through the top.
ATC (after departure): Through the top, got it.

I heard that at a Class Delta near Charlotte.

Back