What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into John Wayne (KSNA)?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Could someone shed some light on what to expect flying into John Wayne from the South in terms of reporting points, altitudes, patterns, etc. to expect and where to park or request to park for a few hours for a meeting, to be picked up or pick up a passenger?

Thank you.

flying into KSNA

Check in with SoCal approach about 20 miles south. Try to pick up ATIS prior to checking in. They will guide you toward the airport. You will probably follow the freeway. Most likely if they are landing toward the ocean you will be left traffic such as a left base or left downwind depending on traffic.

Can be busy with airliner traffic so be cautious of wake turbulence. Never had any trouble gettting in there.

After you land is when the trouble starts. There is not one "free" short term transient spot available anywhere. That means you will have to park at the FBO and it is pricey.

Perhaps a RV pilot based there will have a trick up his sleeve.

Good luck.

Could someone shed some light on what to expect flying into John Wayne from the South in terms of reporting points, altitudes, patterns, etc. to expect and where to park or request to park for a few hours for a meeting, to be picked up or pick up a passenger?

Thank you.

I've spend about 4,000 of my 7,500 hours flying in and out of SNA. I learned to fly there. It's very friendly to GA. You'll find LSAs, RVs, helicopters, antiques, aerobatic airplanes, warbirds, corporate jets, and airliners all sharing the same airfield. It's what an airport should be: diverse, busy, and fun.

You said coming from the south, so I assume from the San Diego area? They route VFR arrivals in through a point called Signal Peak (VPLSP). Plan to cross it at about 2,500 feet and then head directly for the airport. You'll be on a perfect 45 for left traffic for 20L.

Use caution for wake turbulence, especially the 757s. Land beyond their touch down point. If you're unsure about the landing, just go around. No big deal at all. Also, watch for jet blast from the larger jets once you're on the ground. Tell the ground controller you're unfamiliar and want a progressive taxi. It's not that hard.

SNA uses 15 degree offsets on the upwind and final to assist with wake turbulence. After you land, you'll exit left at Hotel. Signature is about 200 feet from there, you can't miss it.

SNA publishes a nice guide to the airport, which is available here:

http://www.ocair.com/generalaviation/pilotinformation.aspx

And be sure to study this PDF file. It's got everything you need in it:

http://www.ocair.com/generalaviation/pilotguide.aspx

--Ron

I've spend about 4,000 of my 7,500 hours flying in and out of SNA. I learned to fly there. It's very friendly to GA. You'll find LSAs, RVs, helicopters, antiques, aerobatic airplanes, warbirds, corporate jets, and airliners all sharing the same airfield. It's what an airport should be: diverse, busy, and fun.

You said coming from the south, so I assume from the San Diego area? They route VFR arrivals in through a point called Signal Peak (VPLSP). Plan to cross it at about 2,500 feet and then head directly for the airport. You'll be on a perfect 45 for left traffic for 20L.

Use caution for wake turbulence, especially the 757s. Land beyond their touch down point. If you're unsure about the landing, just go around. No big deal at all. Also, watch for jet blast from the larger jets once you're on the ground. Tell the ground controller you're unfamiliar and want a progressive taxi. It's not that hard.

SNA uses 15 degree offsets on the upwind and final to assist with wake turbulence. After you land, you'll exit left at Hotel. Signature is about 200 feet from there, you can't miss it.

SNA publishes a nice guide to the airport, which is available here:

http://www.ocair.com/generalaviation/pilotinformation.aspx

And be sure to study this PDF file. It's got everything you need in it:

http://www.ocair.com/generalaviation/pilotguide.aspx

--Ron

When I worked for a living, SNA was a frequent destination flying the MD80. Very interesting and fun airport to fly into. Lots of various airplanes coming and going. The mix works and has for years, just be cautious of wake turbulence.

Go to Atlantic FBO, get 15 gallon of gas, they will void the parking fee, I don't know about over night parking. There will be $12 airport security fee in addition to the gas you purchased. Years ago, Signature charged me $50 just to pick up a passenger. Follow Ron's instructions, everything will be fine. Good luck.

Last edited:
KSNA is one of my favorite airports, and I second all that has been said above. I got my tailwheel endorsement there in July, 2013, over a two day period. Lots of fun doing pattern work with airliners landing on the parallel runway.

As was mentioned before, don't be afraid to go around if you need to for wake turbulence or any other reason. The tower is completely in tune with it. I was just there yesterday to catch a commercial flight and saw two Cessnas and a SWA 737 do go-arounds. It's a busy place and it comes with the territory.

Have fun!

P-51 at John Wayne

When I was a kid (late 50's and 60's) we used to drive past this airport going from Riverside to the Beach. I'd always look to see if there were any blimps outside their hangers and then a short distance later you could see planes parked outside under a canopy at John Wayne. There was for many years a P-51 Mustang parked at the end of the row. I always wondered who owned it and what happened to it. Anybody else remember it and know the story behind it??

Go to Atlantic FBO, get 15 gallon of gas, they will void the parking fee, I don't know about over night parking. There will be $12 airport security fee in addition to the gas you purchased. Years ago, Signature charged me $50 just to pick up a passenger. Follow Ron's instructions, everything will be fine. Good luck.

Concur with using Atlantic; they are always good to me everywhere I travel in the USA. This past weekend, It was either 7 gallons (@$7.50/gal) or $15 for a quick-turn (<30min) at Santa Barbara using Atlantic. I bought gas :D Rosie

There was for many years a P-51 Mustang parked at the end of the row. I always wondered who owned it and what happened to it. Anybody else remember it and know the story behind it??

I do recall seeing that airplane (or was it a Spitfire?) in the GA parking (now where the airline terminals are). My dad used to take my brother and I to go see the airplanes at all of the local SoCal airports. You could just wander around on the ramp without any security issues. Oh, the good old days!
I remember walking around at Long Beach and seeing all of the planes that were used in the movie "Toro, Toro, Toro!", along with other classics like Ford Trimotors and PB-Y's.

...There was for many years a P-51 Mustang parked at the end of the row. I always wondered who owned it and what happened to it. Anybody else remember it and know the story behind it??

Yeah, I remember that Mustang very well. It belonged to Leroy B. Penhall, who owned a local construction equipment rental company. He used to race at Reno, and tragically lost his life in a 1975 accident taking off in his Beechcraft twin from Mammoth Lakes Airport. The P-51 was painted in the same red and gray color scheme as his company?s many trucks and rigs.

I learned to fly at Orange County (now John Wayne) in 1976. One day, I think later in that same year, I went to the airport to do some flying. On arrival I noticed a crew of guys giving the P-51 what appeared to be a thorough going over. It had been sitting outside, untouched, for months on end and was really showing the neglect.

When I came back in a few hours later, after putting the Cessna to bed, it looked to me as if they were finishing up and were about to fly the -51 so I decided to stick around a little while longer. As I waited, I noticed that it was one of those ?different? days. There was a very high thin overcast of cirrocumulus, and the atmosphere below it was crystal clear and utterly still?not a wisp of air stirring in the late afternoon. There was also an eerie near silence about, as if this part of the world was holding its breath. Quite odd, most especially here at what normally was a beehive of activity.

Finally, the moment arrived, the prop began to turn and the big Merlin coughed and awoke, sluggish at first, then gradually gathering itself as it began at last to remember the strength of its song. At the run up, the baritone bellow of those twelve cylinders was the only perceptible sound to be heard, and it echoed wildly in the stillness, caroming back and forth across the field as if to measure its length and breadth. No one and nothing else dared to compete.

On taxiing over to one niner right it was the only aircraft moving anywhere on the field, and there was no traffic in the pattern ? none at all. As it began its takeoff roll, I got the strongest sense that this had become something of a pivotal event upon which every human on the airport was wholly transfixed. Lifting off, beginning a shallow climb, gear and flaps up, out over the bay trailing just a hint of dark smoke from one bank, I couldn?t take my eyes off of it ? indeed, to do so would seem irreverent ? until it became too small a speck to follow.

It was sadly obvious that the Mustang had been sold and would not return to SNA?and it never did.

Soul Man

Hi John,

I agree with Merrill. You?ve superbly created that most rare of all posts: one with true soul! Thanks! We all understand!

I started my lessons at Petaluma Sky Ranch in 1979...... there was a red and gray P-51 on the field. The owner did a great job of flying it off our 2500' strip.

I will check with George and see where his P-51 came from.

Photo found!

I'm still digging through loads of old slides taken by my late father.
I ran across these he took on one of our forays to Santa Ana.

This is the warbird I was recalling. Not a P-51, but a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk.

ocairport2-M.jpg

That is me on the right, next to my older brother.

ocairport-M.jpg

Google searching the registration number reveals that this was owned by Tallmantz Aviation and was used in movies.

Tallmantz

A lot of the stuff that was still at Tallmantz when Frank Tallman died went to Kermit Weeks.
Challenge Publications probably has the history of that P40.

My first exposure to RV's happen during a tower tour in '89. Another couple joined us for the tour and he told me all about this aluminum homebuilt RV-4 that he was building.

Of course, I didn't believe the performance numbers he was giving me.

I wonder who he was and if he ever finished it.

I'm headed that way after christmas. I'm planning to fly into fullerton, but SNA would be more convenient. Been a long time since I have been there. Last time I parked at Signature (or maybe it was millionair), but they are gone. Anyone know what the GA options and prices are these days? Ill be there for 5-6 days.

I'm headed that way after christmas. I'm planning to fly into fullerton, but SNA would be more convenient. Been a long time since I have been there. Last time I parked at Signature (or maybe it was millionair), but they are gone. Anyone know what the GA options and prices are these days? Ill be there for 5-6 days.

Sorry, can't say about the FBOs at SNA, but we usually have a big fly-out to Havasu on New Years Day, join us!

-Marc

Call ACI Jet. They were pretty reasonable when I was last there. Waived the handling fees with a fuel purchase and free parking for 3 hours or so.
Fullerton is $5 a night and easy in/out without any hassles.

Call ACI Jet. They were pretty reasonable when I was last there. Waived the handling fees with a fuel purchase and free parking for 3 hours or so.
Fullerton is $5 a night and easy in/out without any hassles.

I called ACI. $25 a night. $60 ramp fee for more than 3hrs (Waived with 25gal).

Fullerton it is...

Back