What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Training Certification

nightflier

Patron
Does anyone know how to become a legal transition instructor in RV's? I'm in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. The FAA has no idea.............
Thanks,
Sam Marlow, CFI

If you're legal to instruct, you're legal to instruct in RVs. There is no other hoop to jump through from a regulatory stanpoint. Unless you're talking about a tailwheel model, in which case you would need to hold a tailwheel endorsement.

Yeah, it's that simple.

In reality, insurance requirements will often dictate a certain level of time-in-type, and prudence suggests you be knowledgeable about the model in which you're providing instruction. But if you want to speak from a purely *legal* perspective, there is nothing to do.

I'm surprised the FAA would not know that. Perhaps it's just the person you were talking to?

--Ron

Wait -- were you asking about getting your own RV approved for renting to students during transition training? Then you need a LODA from the FAA. Sorry, I thought you were just asking about the instructor, not the aircraft. :)

(but I'm still surprised the FAA wouldn't know that...)

Maybe he'd like to charge for it. In case I think the LODA is required I believe.

He as a CFI can instruct in RVs without it. The LODA would only be required if he wanted to rent out an E-AB airplane (as opposed to training in the student's aircraft).

"What, you don't wanna let people fly your airplane for free??" :D

--Ron

Transition Info in Safety Section

Sam,

Sent you a PM.

Fly safe,

Vac

Back