What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixing a broken finger...

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
...a broken gear leg fairing attach finger, that is!

I know many builders have had to fix broken gear leg attachment fingers - the portions of the gear leg that are held in place by breeze clamps. Haven't had a lot of luck with forum searches on this topic, so if you've had to fix this area AND your fix has held for awhile, I'd love to know what you did.

Many thanks -

Dave

Last edited:
...a broken gear leg fairing attach finger, that is!

I know many builders have had to fix broken gear leg attachment fingers - the portions of the gear leg that are held in place by breeze clamps. Haven't had a lot of luck with forum searches, so if you've had to fix this area AND your fix has held for awhile, I'd love to know what you did.

Many thanks -

Dave

I've seen some folks fashion a T-shape out of .020" 2024 and use soft rivets &/or glass to bond to gear leg fairing.

I used this method from the start, credit to Mike Bullock RV7 builder.

Attachments

• DSCN2210 copy.JPG
    DSCN2210 copy.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN2207.JPG
    DSCN2207.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCN2206.JPG
    DSCN2206.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 402
I simply cut a finger of spare .032 aluminum (approximately 4x3/4”) and riveted it in place along the gear leg centerline of the leg fairing. I cut out the area where the fiberglass finger would be. TBD on how long it will last but on its face it should be less prone to cracking than the fiberglass finger.

fix

Carbon fibre, I had the same pdroblem. Fixed it with carbon fibre.l If you bring it up I'll help you fix it.

Steve

Gear leg fairings

Reviving this thread.
I like Don's solution and plan to implement.
Another question.
I don't see any mention in the plans or destructions on fasteners for the top gear leg fairing to the fuse.
Is the "finger" thingy all the holds the fairing at the top?

gear leg fairing attachment

Another question. I don't see any mention in the plans or destructions on fasteners for the top gear leg fairing to the fuse.

Larry,

Yep. Two "fingers" and band clamp are what hold mine in. Works well. I did build up the fiberglass thickness (on the inside of the fairing) and "mold" them to the gear leg.

Aluminum "fingers" should work fine too.

Last edited:
The important thing to accomplish is to allow for the leg fairing to move on one end or the other. I believe many folks who have broken fingers also have some kind of bottom or binding in the wheel pant. When our landings are less than glassy smooth we need to allow for a little motion at one or both ends of that leg fairing otherwise something is going to break.

Reviving this thread.
I like Don's solution and plan to implement.
Another question.
I don't see any mention in the plans or destructions on fasteners for the top gear leg fairing to the fuse.

Yes it kind of dangles. In retrospect the only need for holding that fairing is vertically, as the intersection fairings hold the alignment upper and lower. Holding it in position for making/fitting the intersections is another matter. Trimming the top minimally will allow more room all the way down. I added a strip of 3M chip guard on the top and bottom of the gear legs to stop chafing and powder coat erosion.

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

Last edited:
Breeze clamp

Question...
I see those who fabricated a clip, the breeze clamp screw is exposed to the outside. Why?
Seems like once the clip and breeze clamp are tight, there's no further need to adjust it. The screw(s) hold the gear leg fairing to the clip.
Confused. :confused:

Question...
I see those who fabricated a clip, the breeze clamp screw is exposed to the outside. Why?
Seems like once the clip and breeze clamp are tight, there's no further need to adjust it. The screw(s) hold the gear leg fairing to the clip.
Confused. :confused:

If it moves/slips, or has a need to be adjusted it should be accessible. I had rather do the adjustment squatting than laying on my back. Any direction for the screw except on the back or front interferes with . . . something.

Those tabs broke off from mine around 20 years ago. The lower end of the gear fairing is captured by the interesection fairing, and gravity settles against some rubber I wrapped around the gear, while the top is allowed to float within the upper gear/fuse fairing. Been that way for around 1600 hours or so.

Back