What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring runs in RV-8

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
I've nearly finsihed the wiring schematics and I'm trying to figure the physical location of the wires. I'm at a bit of a loss on where to start.

I've got the following electrical stuff which will require wire runs in the fuuselage:

battery behind baggage compartment
Trutrak pitch and roll servos
strobe power supply
position lights
landing and taxi lights
flap motor

An all electric panel with:
Trutrak ADI
Dynon EFIS D10A and EMS D10
Garmin 340 Audio panel
Garmin 430 GPS/Nav/Com
Garmin 300XL GPS/Com
Garmin GTX 327 Txponder
Trutrak Digiflight IIVS autopilot control head

I think I'll use some of the eyeball lights or perhaps some EL strips for panel lighting with eyeball lights for cockpit lighting.

I'm planning to use fuses rather than breakers (except for Alternator and maybe some other itmes I havne't decided on yet) - probably the B & C fuse block/s.

I plan on having an endurance bus though I haven't compeltely finalised what will go on it and what will go on the main bus.

Most of the inter-avionics wiring has been done with the supply of the radios though there are of course some additional connections. I can keep things neat and tidy behind the panel.

I would like to keep the wiring runs through the fuselage as invisible as possible without making maintenance too difficult later.

Of course there are a few aerials that need to be wired back to the panel.

Where will I put the fuseblock, the strobe power supply, the aerial wiring run/s, the lighting and other wiring runs that need to go through the fuselage, the switchs for all this stuff.

I'm particularly interested in wiring locations - how do I get over or through(?) the wingspar neatly etc. etc.

I know each installation will require individaul analysis and I will do that using wiring diagrams. But I'ld love to see what others have done. Any photos out there of wiring runs and the like, not just the beautiful panels and even the lovely wiring behind the panels I've seen on other threads?

Thanks

Ken Stanton
RV8QB

Fuselage wiring

If you want some "raw" pictures, I've got some here:

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20041208204446995

I tried to guestimate the exact size of hole I would need for the bundle of cables I'd be running, and I got it wrong. Too small. Big pain. I'd recommend going a bit larger than you think you will need, since there will almost always be just one more wire to pull through.

I ran Van's black wiring conduit in the same location, under the arm rests and under the canopy rails/upper longeron. I pulled individual wires for each component and labeled each end of the wire. After all wires were pulled, I cut and connected each end. No pictures available but very simple concept.

RV-8 wiring

Ken: I'm close to wiring mine. Just finished painting interior. I'll have the rear battery location. TruTrak servos, Dynon 10A, ADI, Garmin 430, 340, GTX 330 and SL30. Heated pitot, ldg light in left wing, AOA Sport and probably eyeball lights for panel flood and reading, front and back. Also want to prepare wire runs for heated seats. Numerous antennae have to be wired as well as strobe power supply (have Van's with a single power supply and coax to wing tips and tail), and electric trim (pitch and roll). Van's drawing OP-10 gives some routing info for your battery location, etc. Running wire buncles under the armrests as suggested earlier sounds good. If you'd like to talk directly call me at 414-975-6812. Thanks for starting this thread - I'll watch it with interest and add any info I develop on my project. Bill Dicus N9669D reserved.

Back