What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip: removing tape residue from plexi

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Discovered this by accident today but it works really well.

Simply use electrical tape (or even masking tape) to pull off residue left from the tape you used to mask the canopy/windscreen. Dab it over the residue repeatedly and it'll come right off. Took me less than an hour and my canopy was crystal clear.

I'll probably use soap and water to clean it once more but honestly I don't think I need to.

additional tip...

Isopropyl Alcohol (medicinal alcohol) will usually work with most tape residues and definitely will not harm plexiglas. 3M also makes "Adhesive Remover" which will take off all residue I have ever encountered but it is probably 10 or 20 times the cost. I bedded my canopy with proseal and it even took that off while the proseal was partially cured but will not touch it once fully cured. Also will not harm plexi.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 350flight hours
RV8 fuselage
Northfield, MN

kerosene and a cotton cloth

I haven't found anything (besides scratches :) ) it doesn't remove from plexiglass.

Discovered this by accident today but it works really well.

Simply use electrical tape (or even masking tape) to pull off residue left from the tape you used to mask the canopy/windscreen. Dab it over the residue repeatedly and it'll come right off. Took me less than an hour and my canopy was crystal clear.

I'll probably use soap and water to clean it once more but honestly I don't think I need to.
Actually this does seem to work really well, Ken. Thanks for the idea. A couple years ago when I finished the canopy I taped up around the remaining plastic to keep the plexi protected. Dumb move! I had delayed trying to clean it up, but just tried today with the new tape and it worked great.

What about removing residue from aluminium

I used cheap masking tape to hold some plastic bubble wrap over the edges of the cockpit while I have been working in there. Left it on for many months. Now the tape is off but the residue is still there. I've tried methylated spirits, eucalyptus oil, paint thinners, pre- paint cleaners etc. The residue has hardened. I would prefer not to remove it "mechanically", ie with some fine sandpaper/ wet & dry or something but I can't find anything which works now. Any tips for that one?

KEROSENE: see #3, removes adhesive residue off of anything

I used cheap masking tape to hold some plastic bubble wrap over the edges of the cockpit while I have been working in there. Left it on for many months. Now the tape is off but the residue is still there. I've tried methylated spirits, eucalyptus oil, paint thinners, pre- paint cleaners etc. The residue has hardened. I would prefer not to remove it "mechanically", ie with some fine sandpaper/ wet & dry or something but I can't find anything which works now. Any tips for that one?

removes adhesive residue off of anything :cool:

Ken, I had the same with my canopy and cheap masking tape. The tape peeled off, but the adhesive remained. I used a product called "Gue Gone" in a spray bottle. Smells like orange peel. Spray on, let soak a while, clean off with cotton cloth. Bottle says plastic safe and seems pretty benign. Does not have any toxic lables warnings. Worked easy for me. Bought it at Wal Mart, you have have a Wal Mart in Tasmania ? If you can't find it I could send you a bottle. Best regards, Bill of Georgia

Back