What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Replacement for Incandesent Bulb

chaskuss

Well Known Member
Listers,
I have been given two Military style Soderberg cockpit/utility lamps. Similar lamps were also made by Grimes. My lights look like the one in the link below. See

http://www.soderberg.aero/products.php?page=detail&cat_id=1&subcat_id=1&prod_id=580

I really like the utility of these lamps. I would like to bring them up to the 21st century by replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED replacements. I know that some manufacturers are making LED bulbs with either a bayonet or screw in base, so that they can be used for replacement of standard incandescent bulbs.
Can anyone direct me to a web link or manufacturer who might be able to supply me with LED bulbs for these lamps?
Any suggestion for LED replacements of other common aviation incandescent bulbs would also be appreciated.
Charlie Kuss

For what it's worth, Steinair (and other outfits) sells a nice looking LED light that mounts and works approximately the same way:

maplightrv.jpg

http://www.steinair.com/lights.htm

mcb

I'm not changing

Guys,
I appreciate your attempts to steer me towards a more modern product. However, the Soderberg lamp has features that I want. I would simply like to update the older incandescent bulb with a newer style LED.
Charlie

Try contacting Soderberg, they offer a LED light with a replaceable bulb, that might fit your unit.

Good luck.

Mike,
The lamp in your link won't work. The LED unit is a cartridge and it's 28 volts. I did send Soderberg an email with my request. Thanks for the idea.
Charlie

Thanks

...as a LED replacement for a 1816 bulb...

http://www.brite-lite.com/Products/LEDminiatures.html

...under the T-3 1/4 section.

Gil,
I've been searching the Internet for an hour. I found several vendors, but not one with an actual part number for the bulb. Thanks for the link.

# 5100-09-144-004 is what I need.

I did learn that the 1893 bulb is a substitute for the 1816 (1893 is 14 volt, 1816 is 13 volt)

Charlie

No go

Try contacting Soderberg, they offer a LED light with a replaceable bulb, that might fit your unit.

Good luck.

Mike
Thanks again for the suggestion. Soderberg was of no help (I figured as much. They deal with certified and military aviation) See below their reply.

Soderberg Mfg. does not supply LED replacement bulbs for this light
assembly. Not aware of one that is compatible.

Stephen Mandap
Sr. Engineer
Soderberg Manufacturing Co. Inc.
(909) 595-1291

Charlie Kuss

Mike
Thanks again for the suggestion. Soderberg was of no help (I figured as much. They deal with certified and military aviation) See below their reply.

Soderberg Mfg. does not supply LED replacement bulbs for this light
assembly. Not aware of one that is compatible.

Stephen Mandap
Sr. Engineer
Soderberg Manufacturing Co. Inc.
(909) 595-1291

Charlie Kuss

I would think any dimmable LED bulb of the same size that would fit in your socket would work fine.

I too love those utility lights and use them in my aircraft…..on off dimmable red or white all in one adjustable package…..I don’t like super bright lights in my cockpit so am happy with a 12volt incandescenct in mine! Don’t want no stinking blinding LED.
Hey if your bulb is a 28 volt which most of those are, just swap it out for a 12 v and it’ll be brighter.

Back