What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new recommendation for battery powered screwdriver

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
After deburring > 10000 holes, my trusty Black & Decker Pivot Driver has passed on to the tool crib in the sky :(

Actually, what killed it was putting in and out all the phillips screws in the cabin floors, covers, etc. (yes I used boelube - didn't break off a single screw).

I would like some of you tool experts out there to recommend a replacement electric screwdriver, and also the best phillips tips. I hate it when the tips spin out and damage the screw. I've been using IceBits but I think there are better ones out there.

I'm looking for a small screwdriver (not a drill)... something that can get into little spaces and especially up against walls (like the outside cabin floor screws). Must be rechargable.

Thanks for any recommendations...

Ryobi 4V Lithium Ion Screwdriver. This little palm electric screwdriver works great. Found mine at Home Depot for about $35.00. Charge lasts a very long time.

SnapOn electric screwdriver No. CTS561. Output about 65 in-lbs. No clutch, so you have to be careful driving in. Can drive deck screws with this little sucker. Very small, very durable. Fast recharge. About $130. You get what you pay for.
Terry

I like my...

...Sears small power screwdriver....:)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...rewguns&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

$40 but often on sale for $30.

It really fits in your hand nicely - seems to be the Sears equivalent of the Ryobi mentioned earlier. I also like the light weight - much more comfortable to use than the drill/drivers I have

Last edited:
7.2volt Dewalt

I love my 7.2Volt dewalt driver and would for sure recommend it to anybody. I has a ton of torque and is really well built. I wouldn't give it up for anything!! Well maybe a....:D;):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Makita

I have a Makita that is going on 20 yrs. old. Built many a house, cabinet and fence with it. Still hanging remodel drywall with it and doing my cowl screws regularly.... :D

Porter-Cable 18V at Lowes

My cheapo Skil battery drill just conked out and I went throught the same exercise.

Most of the new drills now come with Lithium batteries, which has just about doubled the price. But at Lowes I found a real nice Porter-Cable 18v nicad for $100, with two speed ranges, two batteries, and a real nice charging stand that is electrically controlled so that you can leave a battery on it all the time without ruining the battery.

After I picked it up, I noticed on the way to the register that they also had the exact same drill packaged with a circular saw for $10 more. Don't know why I'd ever need a battery powered circular saw, but you can never have too many tools!

Next time you see the Snap-On truck at the airport, get a few Phillips bits from them.

These are the ones with the serrations that help grip the screw heads. All others are junk IMHO.

Vern

debur bits

Ok, someone help me out here. Where do I get deburring bits that fit in these screwdrivers? Thanks.

Dremel

I bought the Dremel set last year and love the thing. You get a pistol style drive with the hex socket. The other is a typical dremel tool but battery operated. This has been very handy when cutting grinding and other stuff, no cords. The battery life is really good as well.

Cheers

Back