What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal position

Just make them adjustable by drilling more mounting holes. Don't forget that the middle support block has different hole spacing, so calculate all the hole spacing so that you don't end up with two holes in almost the same place, or "8" shaped holes.

be careful

I drilled the adjustable mounting holes as per plans. I like pedals far away so I put them close to the firewall. This caused the end of the rudder cable to hang up on one of the vertical bulkhead supports closest to the pedals. I ended up having to move the pedals aft to the next hole and also modifying the rudder stops to prevent this binding action.

forward position

I put the pedals as far forward as the plans allowed to get the most legroom, the rudder cable fouling problem mentioned is typical and there are various solutions (search the forums). In my case I covered the cable with clear tubing that covered the clevis and ran through the first vertical bulkhead snap bushing and safety wired each end. After 13 hours now in the test phase there are no issues and in fact apart from take-off and landing there is very little rudder travel in flight.
I think the fouling mentioned may be a different issue (outside of the cable clevis hitting a vertical stiffener) and I did not have this problem.

Last edited:
Pilots approaching six feet will want the pedals extremely forward and the seat back in the aft hinges, fully leaned. Of course, some six-footers might want it more crunched; it's easy to shorten dimensions, but impossible if you don't make provision. So, make the pedals adjustable at least 3" aft from extreme forward. I've flown five-foot plus a smidgen pilots whose feet where 3" shy of the forward pedals. Simply moving the seat back forward crowds the stick, deletes thigh support, and the seat cushion fit - doesn't.

John Siebold

Last edited:
I just put mine in and rechecked that I had measured right. The plan gives a spec, I think it is 3" rearward from a point on the firewall.

Back