What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Baggage side panel F871PP rubs on right rudder pedal

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
After many months (approaching years really) of stuffing around doing basically nothing and making excuses I have now made a list of things to do.

The first on that list is to install the rudder pedals and the forward baggage floor and side panel.

I have the ground adjustable rudder pedals.

The Angle along the floor (F8108R) is a little warped. I have no idae how that happened but it is installed and the end points are line up where they are meant to be. I suspect it may have been cut a fraction too long. Anyway, that means the distance between the angles on the floor is 15 5/16 rather than 15 1/4.

However the rudder pedals are the correct width. And they fit firmly in between the angles on the floor so I think they are in the correct position.

The F871PP has to attache to the angle on the firewall, the cockpit floor, the right gear tower and the the baggage floor angle F870C

The holes are prepunched but they do not match up perfectly with the floor in particular or with the gear tower. I "fixed" that by enlarging them slightly so they would match.

However the F871PP is just a little bit too long for the distance beteen the holes drilled in the firewall angle and the gear tower so that it bows out and scrapes on the right rudder pedal.

I'm not sure how to fix that.

I thnik I do need to fix it because it is not a good idea to have the rudder pedals scraping across the side panel when operating.

I could elongate the holes on the side panel where it attaches to the floor, firewall angle and gear tower so that it is moved away from the rudder pedal.

I could attach a piece of .032 angle to the outboard part of the side panel which might stop it bowing in to the rudder pedal.

I could just put some tape on the ned of the rudder bolt and some tape on the side panel to stop the rudder pedal scratching the paint. But I would want to do that.

What sort of distance should I have between the right rudder pedal and the F871PP front bagge side panel?
Kristen%27s%2017th%20b%27day%20party%20015.jpg

Kristen%27s%2017th%20b%27day%20party%20010.jpg

I could also do what someone else suggests.

Anyone else encountered this problem and how do I fix it best?

Thanks for helping me get back on track.

same

mine does the same thing- - slight rub. it hasn't bothered me enough yet to fix/address. was considering coming up with different hardware for the pedal attachment- - maybe gain a few thousandths of an inch there.

Ken,
Looks like you can just turn the bolt around ... nut to the inside.
Just guessing from your picture.
I'm not at that point yet in my build.

Could Baggage Side Be Bowed??

Could it be that the baggage compartment side is being bowed in towards the pedal from the screws when screwing the skin in?

I've seen on some 8's where this happens. You might have to put a slight bend in the skin in the oppsosite direction to make it bow in towards the baggage compartment and away from the rudder pedal.

If you have access to a brake you could put an "X" bump break in it to bow it.

Ted

elongate the holes for the gear tower screws

If you elongate the holes for the gear tower screws a little, you can tip the side panel inward just a little. You might then have to put a spacer on the angle that joins the baggage floor to the side panel, since you moved the side panel outboard slightly. You may also have to bend the side panel slightly at the attachment to the firewall to allow the panel to move outboard some.

I have the flight-adjustable pedals, and I have about a 1/4" clearance between the panel and the pedal. That may not mean much for you since the ground-adjustable assembly is so different.

I also made a similar panel for the left side, to close out the area where the fuel pump and filter are, and it also has 1/4" clearance to the pedal.

Back