What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Interconnections

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
:confused:
I know I am showing my ignorance by asking these questions and I?m close to calling in an expert to do this part of the wring for me. In fact, I have been letting this aspect of the project stall me for 18 months or so now. I wander out to the shed and look and fiddle and come back inside because it?s all too hard for me to figure out. In the end this will be the aeroplane I want it to be but if I could start over I would build this as a day VFR plane. I would be flying by now! I?ve let fancy function creep overtake me. But I?m determined to take control again.
Can anyone help me?

I?ve got the following instruments:
? Dynon D10A EFIS
? Dynon EMS D10
? Garmin 340 Audio Panel
? Garmin 430 GPS etc. Connected to the GI106A (I think)
? Garmin 300XL GPS/Com
? Garmin GTX327
? Trutrak Digiflight II VS
? Trutrak ADI
? Plus backup ASI and Altimeter

I want to do the following:
? Hook up the Dynon d10A Alt output to the GTX 327 transponder
? Hook up the 430 output to the Trutrak autopilot
? Send the 300XL data to the EMS d10 to display as an HSI
? Provide some input to the Trutrak ADI for the DG function

I received a harness with all the Garmin instruments. It deals with the first two connections above. The connections between my Steinair D10A harness and the GTX327 transponder are straight forward.

I also have the Garmin harness P4001 connector pin 56 for RS232 output and 46 and 47 for GPS ARINC 429 out A & B to go to the Trutrak Autopilot pins 25, 26 and 27 respectively on the Steinair Trutrak Digiflight .Once again straight forward I think.

I think I can do the third connection by connecting pin 19 (of the 37 pin connector) on the GNC 300XL with shielded wire to the RS232 input pin on the EMS D10. There?s a post on the dynon support website which gives a bit more detail about this connection. I don?t want to pay for the dynon ARINC convertor thing for the HSI function when this is just a nice function to have but not my main Nav device. I will have to add a pin to the Garmin harness but after some practice crimping and installing d-sub pins I think I?ll be able to do that.

I?m not sure where to get the track/heading data (not sure which it is) for the Trutrak ADI digital track/headingfunction from.

If the ADI is to show track can I use the same output from the same 300XL RS232 output that is going to the EMS D10? If so should that be done in parallel or in series? Physically how should the connection be; 2 wires from the 300Xl going to each instrument separately or one going from the 300XL to say the Dynon EMS d10 and from there to the trutrak ADI?

Or if heading is to be displayed should I use the Dynon d10A EFIS RS232 output to go to the ADI; and can I do that if it is giving Alt info to the GTX327? Once again can that be done by splitting the signal or connecting the EMS D10 and Trutrak ADI in series on that output?

This is complicated further by the fact that there is a wire in the Garmin harness which was marked ?Dynon? and it is connected to Pin 17 of the 300XL 37pin connector which is RS232 input. Why do I want to input RS232 from the Dynon into the 300XL? Is it to provide the GPS with heading info so that it can calculate wind or something and if so wouldn?t I want that going to the 430 also?

Thanks for reading this long winded post. I look forward to the expertise of this forum to save me!!
:)

dynon to 327

Ken,
I can help you on some of this. I currently have a Dynon d100, garmin 300xl and garmin 327 transponder. All avionics work, but not all talk to one another, but I am making progress. To make the transponder receive pressure alt output from the Dynon, Hook Pin 13 from the Dynon (I'm assuming that the pins on the d10 and D100 are the same) to pin 19 on the Garmin 327. Make sure both are grounded well with the pins provided. There are operating instructions in the latest Dynon installation manual on how to turn this function on. There are also operation instructions for the 327 on how to turn this function on. I can't remember them, but you can download the Dynon ones from their website and google the 327 instalation instructions from the web. Both are easy to do. Dynon has less than great instuctions but they are getting better and less geeky. Garmin doesn't like to give this information out. Probably want to keep Garmin dealers busy. I have hooked up the Garmin 300 to the Dynon (but I probably did it wrong as it won't work sending GPS and displaying it on the Dynon HSI). Anyone out there know how to do it right? Anyone know which buttons to push on the 300 to make it work. This will be a lot of help to a lot of us. Also, do I need to hook the 327 up to the 300 for any reason?
Hope this helps.
Don Walker

GNC300 to Dynon

To send NMEA data from the GNC-300 to the Dynon, you need to use pin 19 of the GNC-300 (37 pin connector) and enable plotter output on I/O channel 2.

I don't have any experience with the Trutrack but I believe they use either "NMEA" or "aviation" serial data. You could tap off pin 19 of the GNC-300 or find an unused output from the 430. I'd shoot for the latter, but using the GNC-300 to drive two devices shouldn't overtax it. The main thing is that you can hook two devices to an output, but you can't do the same for an input.

If you're not planning on using pin 17, you could move the wire using a pin extraction tool (I think Radio Shack still sells them)

Paige

GNC 300XL to Dynon D10A connection

I have hooked up the Garmin 300 to the Dynon (but I probably did it wrong as it won't work sending GPS and displaying it on the Dynon HSI). Anyone out there know how to do it right? Anyone know which buttons to push on the 300 to make it work. This will be a lot of help to a lot of us. Don Walker

Don as to this see the Dynon Avionics Forum post below:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1171248008

Thanks for your thoughts to date.

Back