What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question re hiding fuel lines on taildragger

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey all-

This is a way down the road for me, but I'm getting ready to punch the 1" hole in the wing root area of the fuselage for future fuel line routing.

While I was looking at the print and how everything fits together, I discovered that the fuel line comes through the sidewall a couple of inches fwd and then makes a 90* bend aft where it ends up under the kick panels and then makes its way laterally to the selector valve.

This is all hidden under the gear weldments on a 7A, but everything I've been able to find in the plans or online seems to indicate that it's just out there in the breeze on the taildragger.

Has anyone either found an alternate routing (like maybe with the fuselage penetration further aft) or fabbed up a panel to cover this up?

fuel lines

I think if i had it to do over i would go inside the kick panel right in front of the spar.

Keith

Rv7

2021 donation.

Hiding fuel lines on a taildragger

If you install Classic Aero Designs, Sportsman 2 side panels, they cover up that fuel line. Plus the pockets come in very handy.

Gary
RV-7

While I don't know about the RV7 specifically. I did just complete the cabin fuel and brake lines on my RV7A. I don't see how it could be a problem if you came through the same location for your RV7. The gear weldments wouldn't be there so it should be easy to route your fuel lines to the fuel valve. I'm not sure what the forward covers on the RV7 look like but I'm assuming they are just longer since the gear weldment isn't there.

Thanks for they input guys. I was thinking about moving teh penetration aft. seems like a simple solution, but it's so simple that it seems like there must be some reason it's not there already?

Thats good info about the Classic Aero. Does anybody know if it's the same for the Lemme side panels?

rapid_ascent-

I'm trying to attach a picture I robbed off the internet to illustrate what I'm talking about, but having upload issues. Not saying it would be hard to do per plan, just not my favorite look.

/Users/terryshortt/Desktop/IMG_8991.jpg

Hey, there it is. Like I said, I just copied this particular picture off the internet, but this is what I'm talking about. just in front of teh stick you can seee where the fuel line comes through the side wall and runs aft before it goes back into the kick panel, then makes another 90* bend toward the selector valve.

Like Keith suggested above, if you could locate that penetration just a couple of inches aft, it would be 100% hidden behind that panel and also eliminate 2 90* bends.

Attachments

• IMG_8991.jpg
    IMG_8991.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
RV-7 Tailwheel Fuel Line Fuselage Penetration

I am a first time builder, with an RV-7 tailwheel QB fuselage. The QB fuselage already had a pilot hole drilled for the fuel line. Attached is a picture of the area on mine, which is built with no changes to the plans.

I am also using a Classic Aero Designs sidewall upholstery panel in that area. It completely covers the fuel line in that area.

The placement of the "kick panel" F-782A Cover Plate, and the outboard mount for it, the F-782D angle, leaves very little room to cut the required size hole to relocate the fuel line penetration aft behind the Cover Plate. See DWG 34.

The Classic Aero Designs sidewall upholstery panel is well designed, but there were a couple of issues to be solved with it in that area in my situation. Attached are photos.

First, the screws on the back of the panel have to be inspected with reference to the fuel line in that area to insure they do not conflict. In my case, one screw was uncomfortably close to the fuel line, so I relocated it to prevent the screw from puncturing or otherwise damaging the fuel line.

Second, there was in my opinion too little clearance between the aluminum frame of the Classic Aero Designs upholstery panel and the fuel line on my installation. I was worried about the flexible upholstery aluminum frame chafing or damaging the fuel line, especially if it is accidentally kicked on entry/exit, so I made a standoff guard from blue foam, which I glued to the back of the panel to insure separation was maintained between the two.

Attachments

• IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7939.jpg
    IMG_7939.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN9833.jpg
    DSCN9833.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN9841.jpg
    DSCN9841.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN9842.jpg
    DSCN9842.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 179
Ok. From these pictures I'm seeing what I didn't get exactly. The RV7A gear weldment in a way hides the fuel line as it comes through the side skin. So sure it seems you could move it aft. It doesn't look like there is room under the cover but still is seems you could make it less obvious.

Last edited:
I have a -7A so the gear weldment hides my interior lines. The stock location is a straight shot to the tank pickup on the wing. If you move the fuse penetration aft, the bends to get to the tank would be pretty tight, and difficult to access. The pic above that shows the line bent aft immediately inside the fuse seems like the best idea.

Back