What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (11/27 - 11/29)

Av8safe

Well Known Member
Getting it started off for the weekend following Thanksgiving.

My Lemke interior arrived yesterday morning, so you know what I have been up to ;)

Happy to report the interior installed easily and I only need to pin, crimp and hook a a couple of molex connector to get the heated seats up for the winter. The lumbar supports are a nice touch and the seats are very comfortable. Looking forward to many enjoyable hours with the new setup. Will be putting the old interior (seats and boosters) up for sale soon.

Attachments

• 20201128_150253.jpg
    20201128_150253.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 20201128_150147.jpg
    20201128_150147.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 288
Flew to Knoxville for Thanksgiving, but the flight back was on Friday (yesterday) so it counts. Clear and forever on the way up with 15 knot tailwinds, smooth over the Smokey Mountains, high cirrus and forever on the way back, even stronger tailwinds. Saw 188 knot groundspeed in the descent to Savannah, pretty good for an RV-9A.

Plotted out the EGTs from this trip, wondering why the cylinders take turns on who gets to run the hottest... And there's occasional roughness that comes and goes, but an inflight mag check showed no ignition anomalies.

This morning I woke up early to head up to Camarillo (KCMA) for breakfast. My original plan was to do this yesterday, but the Santa Ana winds were howling, and I figured that it was going to be a bumpy flight.. so I postponed until today.

I departed Fallbrook with the airport still quiet.. I was the only one flying. I had a great flight up via the coast at 6,500'. Easy trip through the LAX Class B, and the visibility was fantastic.

Landed in Camarillo after about 50 minutes of flying, and taxied straight to the restaurant, which was already busy, but didn't have a wait. For those familiar with the restaurant at CMA, they have changed their procedure a bit. You now order and pay for your food before you take a seat, and then they take you to your table. A short period of time later, the food comes to your table.

Some unusual airplanes parked at the restaurant parking. After looking at them, I headed back south. From landing to taking off again, I was only on the ground for one hour.

From Camarillo, I headed south, along a route similar to that which I flew north. This time, I was at 5,500' and I was going to stop in Oceanside for fuel. Fallbrook has fuel too, but Oceanside is a bit less expensive, and it's a good excuse to fly a bit more.

After refueling in Oceanside, I headed back to Fallbrook, and put the airplane in the hangar, and then cleaned it up a bit. Monday starts the condition inspection..

Attachments

• IMG_9600.jpg
    IMG_9600.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_9601.jpg
    IMG_9601.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_9603.jpg
    IMG_9603.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 328
Left the plane in the hangar. It's 110ºF and blowing 42 knots. :D

Sent orders to eMagAir, an avionics shop and Vans; RFQ to Classic Aero for an interior, and the engine shop for the upcoming o/haul. Pulling the trigger on a VH-SOL refurb project. Basic Empty Weight is gonna be a lot lower after the airplane has finished disposing of all the money!

- mark

Inflight video time..

Now that Phase I is done, I gotta look for new challenges (ha ha!). Hooked up a GoPro and filmed a bit from the cockpit to see how it all works. Here's an approach to KHAF Half Moon Bay, CA after a cross country. Busy pattern .. though you can't really tell from the video.

Yea yea yea, I need to pull the stick all the way back on landing, but was feeling like a greaser until ... I got a little bouncing. 3 knots makes all the difference between a perfect 3 pointer and a floater...

... still, the best plane EVER to fly!

https://youtu.be/QRP5oQ1hqbY

Last edited:
KCRQ

We flew to Palomar for breakfast this a.m. They do a good job of making us feel safe with their cleaning procedures. Severe Clear both ways and a fun first long flight after Condition inspection.

-Marc

Now that Phase I is done, I gotta look for new challenges (ha ha!). Hooked up a GoPro and filmed a bit from the cockpit to see how it all works. Here's an approach to KHAF Half Moon Bay, CA after a cross country. Busy pattern .. though you can't really tell from the video.

Yea yea yea, I need to pull the stick all the way back on landing, but was feeling like a greaser until ... I got a little bouncing. 3 knots makes all the difference between a perfect 3 pointer and a floater...

Nice video.. I enjoyed it.
Nice panel, too!

When things get a little more "normal" it would be fun to do a VAF'er "meet in the middle" lunch, where the northern CA and southern CA RV owners meet up at Harris Ranch, Paso Robles, or the like..

Phase One Flight Testing.......Aerobatic Maneuvers

Inverted Flight...... "check"

Attachments

• Inverted 3.jpg
    Inverted 3.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 361
When things get a little more "normal" it would be fun to do a VAF'er "meet in the middle" lunch, where the northern CA and southern CA RV owners meet up at Harris Ranch, Paso Robles, or the like..

I second that notion - would be a lot of fun!

I'm gonna say its RV related cuz eventually that's where the RV is gonna live. Spent the last 3 weeks a couple hours at a time after work etc thinning out the tree row to 1 row of trees, it had grown to 3-4 trees and 40' wide in spots. We're thinning them out to make room for our driveway without infringing on the cropland, dirt guy wants waist high stumps left to remove the stumps/roots. The extra dirt will help crown the runway. Tree row 1/4 mile long on the right side.

IMG_5588-L.jpg

Looking down the tree row shortly after starting a couple weeks ago after a couple hours wielding my chainsaws, the ol' body ain't what she used to be...2 hours or so and I can't hardly hold a beer much less a chainsaw.

IMG_0297_HEIC-L.jpg

A week and a half or so later.....

IMG_0295_HEIC-L.jpg

We reached a milestone today or 1/4 milestone truth be told. I cut the first swath of trees out at the end on the row, we still have to clear a couple rows of the last 100' then it's onto trimming the higher limbs with the new pole saw.

IMG_0394_HEIC-L.jpg

Hi Bill,
Couldn't help noticing that 2-1/4 inch Altimeter you have. Do you mind telling me make and model? I struggle to find the smaller ones with more than one hand. Thanks!
Martin

Gave my grandson his first ride in a RV. Last year for his birthday, he got the RV pedal plane in the same colors as my RV-10. My son, in the right seat, helped me build the RV-10 while he was in high school many years ago. His aircraft goes a slight bit faster than mine. He currently flies a F-35.

Attachments

• A85CF861-D027-4E35-B415-E36B88A47950.jpeg
    A85CF861-D027-4E35-B415-E36B88A47950.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 282
Left the plane in the hangar. It's 110ºF and blowing 42 knots. :D

Sent orders to eMagAir, an avionics shop and Vans; RFQ to Classic Aero for an interior, and the engine shop for the upcoming o/haul. Pulling the trigger on a VH-SOL refurb project. Basic Empty Weight is gonna be a lot lower after the airplane has finished disposing of all the money!

- mark

I was sick of the cold in WI so flew to Richmond (YSRI) via Hilo and Pago, to join Mark and his heat. Unfortunately I can't "enjoy" it...they're not letting me outside for 14 days.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 264
I was sick of the cold in WI so flew to Richmond (YSRI) via Hilo and Pago, to join Mark and his heat. Unfortunately I can't "enjoy" it...they're not letting me outside for 14 days.

Wow, your 9A has very impressive range!

Back