What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling duct - epoxy with flox or not

olegusan

Hi all,

Bonding the cooling duct to the bottom cowling requires the mix of epoxy and flox.

Step 6 on page 49-14 says:
Install fiberglass strips 1 3/4 inch wide bridging the joint between the COWL 12 DUCT INTERFACE and the COWL 12 BOTTOM.

Do I need to use the flox mix for the fiberglass strips or pure epoxy (no flox in it)?

I'm thinking the fox mix would be thick substance and will not be able to wet the fiberglass strips.

Thanks !

If you use clecos to hold the duct in it makes assembly a lot easier !

Hold in position, drill some holes through and anchor the duct firmly - put some sharpy marks on for line up.

The duct needs flox, the tapes don't. Make sure you scuff up the cowl really well with 80 grit and degrease before epoxying.

Then fill the holes when cured.

It's been about 8 years since I assembled the cowling for my RV-12 so the details are a touch hazy. One thing I do recall was the suggestion that I fully reinstall the top and bottom cowlings before the coolant duct fiberglass hardens. By doing this you minimize any slight misalignment between the lower cowling and the coolant duct.

Back