What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical question

Doug94

Well Known Member
A quick question...

I am replacing a nippondanzo alternator with a plane power alternator from Vans. On the back of the ND alternator a single wire is connected to the field. For those of you that have installed a plane power alternator, do I just use the single wire or do I need, To use a jumper for the second connector? I have a dynon skyview system and am not using the connection for the warning light.

Single wire. Also if you had the older system with 2 wires jumped together Vans got rid of the jumper wire idea years ago via a service bulletin. Suggest you follow the install instructions that came with the PP and things should work out just fine.

In the interest of future searches for ND alternators here, be aware that the 'one wire' (internal regulator) ND alternators do not have a field terminal available to the outside world. The terminal typically labeled 'I' or 'IG' is a regulator control terminal. The terminal labeled 'S' is the sense terminal, used (optionally, in most cases) by the regulator to measure output voltage at a remote point, typically at the bus. Neither is actually a 'field' terminal, since neither connects to the alternator field.

Back