- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 AM

Default broken bolt

I snapped an an3 bolt off in a nutplate. I only have access to the entry side of the nutplate and main wing spare web. I was attaching the bellcrank brackets. How can I remove it with out distroying everything around it?

Robb....7A
Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 AM

Default Can you get a drill

on it. A friend of mine runs a machine shop and he sharpens an old drill bit backwards so when you run the drill backwards the bit bites into the broken bolt and it backs it out. This assumes that you can get at the broken bolt straight on with a drill. He uses a bit the is just smaller than the diameter of the hole so as not to damage the surrounding area.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2020

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 02-16-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwshooter View Post
I snapped an an3 bolt off in a nutplate. I only have access to the entry side of the nutplate and main wing spare web. I was attaching the bellcrank brackets. How can I remove it with out distroying everything around it?

Robb....7A
Robb,

It is possible that by using the "gudentite" method you inadvertently overtorqued the bolt? Removing the remains of the bolt can be difficult. The first thing I would try is to use a widely available easy out extractor. To be successful, you have to center and drill a properly sized hole into the bolt. It is not uncommon to dull several drill bits during the critical drilling process. Good luck.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Tools known as E-Z Outs, EZ Outs, Easy-outs, etc. can be found most anywhere. Try Sears. Or Google.

Oops, Rick beat me to it!

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then".
.....Bob Seger

Last edited by captainron : 02-16-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 AM

I'm gonna head out to sears and pick up an extractor set and give it whirl....worst case would be I would have to remove the leading edge to get at it from another angle. Can you imagine drilling out all those rivets Thanks for the tips

Robb....7A
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Default Sears has

an extractor wth a built in left hand drill bit. You just run the drill in reverse and start drilling. Most of the time the bolt will start backing out before the extractor engages. They are perfect for small bolts. Just be sure to drill the center.
Exempt but paid
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguarino View Post
an extractor wth a built in left hand drill bit. You just run the drill in reverse and start drilling. Most of the time the bolt will start backing out before the extractor engages. They are perfect for small bolts. Just be sure to drill the center.
And these actually work - once. You might get lucky and be able to use the tool a second time, but don't bet on it. They are not made of hardened steel and dull immediately on use.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 AM

Default technique question

been thinking about how to drill this hole right the first time.....what if I had a drill guide bushing made to fit the hole in the spar web....it's about .188 or so....the smallest extractor uses a 5/64 drill bit....it would be a thin wall bushing but should get me **** close to center....what do ya think?

Robb....7A
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM

It is very easy to work harden a steel bolt if you're not careful while drilling a pilot hole for an easy-out. Go slow, use a lubricant, and use a fair amount of pressure. AN bolts are a little softer than typical Grade 8 bolts, so you should be ok drilling it out and use an easy-out. If you can't get a hole drilled through the bolt, the next step is to get a hold of a carbide drill bit.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 AM

I had a bolt break on my spar to fuel tank attach brackets. I was just snugging them up before using the torque wrench and it twisted right off. After sweating it for a couple days, I finally drilled a hole in it and used an easy out. To my surprise it came right out. Just take your time and get a nice hole in it.

RV-7A
Flying
1150 Hours