Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiku View Post
I will try to get one for 1 or 2 weeks to test it.

Two more question:
Is it really true that the updates (Jeppesen DB) (not only firmware) are for free at the moment?

Does the unit provide terrain warning on the display (similiar to Garmin - the closer you are to the terrain, the color in the map will be red instead of yellow or no color)?
I've only seen in pictures a terrain-overview for my route on the lower row of the display.
Not sure about free updates, I thought you had to pay for them. I will check and see because my DB is now out of date.

The terrain-overview on the lower part of the page is the Smart Profile view which can be turned on and off. There is also a whole different page called relative terrain where you can see the terrain warnings in different colors as it shows in the picture below.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2020 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 AM

I think that topo view is customizable too right!? I've never had a need for it yet because it's pretty flat in NJ but I think I remember seeing user sensitivity settings in the menus or the manual someplace.

I think all the software and firmware updates are free. Also, you get a coupon for a free one-time database update (in the box). I used my free database update at the same time I updated my software and firmware back in December. Worked very well.

I do remember seeing a half price link for database updates on the Bendix site, but I can't say if teh AV8OR qualified, or what you had to do for the discount.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM

Default AV8OR waypoint files

Although partially covered in earlier postings, has anyone found an easy way of:

a). converting Garmin .mps format waypoint files to the .txt format needed by the AV8OR.

b). uploading the whole lot in one batch to the AV8OR.

Ditto route files?

Duncan.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:19 AM

thanks to Tom and Andy,

This was what I wanted to know.
I think I will get one of these units. The price is unbeatable for a air/street navigation system. The features are similiar to Garmin's.

My only prob will be to get one of these units in Switzerland. But I have time and can wait until the season begins in spring.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Default AV8OR

What is the overall consensus on these now that they've been out for awhile?
For those that own them, would you buy it again, or would you have gone for a Garmin?
Thanks for your opinions.

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then".
.....Bob Seger
Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Man, I hate to answer questions like this. I feel like I am jinxing myself. AND, I don't get paid by Honeywell for the advertising!!!

I really like mine though. I never wanted a Garmin. And of the remaining choices, I got the one I wanted. It hasn't been a disappointment. I've used it a ton in the car too. There don't seem to be too many posters in here, but by the record count, I would think there have to be a fair amount of users. It will be interesting to see if you get any answers. For what it's worth, I got off the fence months ago and am glad I did. Now I just hope to be able to get many years of use out of it. I can see it being a great back-up GPS someday in the future when maybe I have a permanent panel GPS of some sort.

One thing that comes to mind that I think will be a great next-gen feature will be a 5.25" screen (or so). It seems to me that the entire face of the unit could be an LCD, without expanding the size of the unit itself (save for maybe having to shift the orientation of some sockets and whatnot). Battery draw will be slightly higher, but I don't think it should be a deal breaker by any means. And I'd be happy to take a free one from Honeywell and be a beta guy for them!!

Oh, one last thought. Having used the touch screen for a while now, I can't see ever wanting anything different. I can't remember the Garmins very well, but I think they were push button and toggle type operations right!? The AV8OR use is a joy.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM

>> Great! When you get a list of all of the private airports for AZ, can you share?

I have a file that you can import into the AV8OR of the private airports in AZ. It does not include any Heli pads but I think at this point I have all the private runways included.

Anyone interested, PM me your email address and I will forward.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron View Post
What is the overall consensus on these now that they've been out for awhile?
For those that own them, would you buy it again, or would you have gone for a Garmin?
Thanks for your opinions.

I had a Garmin 195 for several years, so my comparison is with that.
Very impressed with the AV8OR. 'Half' the cost of an equivalent Garmin.
Biggest 'plus' is that I can input data via the on-screen keyboard in flight or call-up airspce info just by touching on the map; this is not a practical proposition (in flight) with a Garmin (scrolling throuhg the alphabet with a stiff button). Navigating through the system is quite intuitive. No proprietary data cards, takes a mobile phone battery and $35 per Jepp update (same as Garmin).

Downside is that it is not as physically robust or as waterproof as a Garmin. There is no E6B or W&B calculator (I really miss the latter, but this is expected to be added in future upgrades; or can a macro be loaded to the data card to handle this??). Short battery life (1.5 hrs max.). I've had it hang once in automotive mode and had to take out the battery to recover!

Duncan.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 AM

I've had the AV80R for about two months now and have been really impressed with it's simplicity, but also its power both in flying and driving mode.

I purchased the larger battery to help with everyones biggest complaint, but now I have another...Anyone figure out how to use the big battery with the mounting equipment supplied with the unit?

The big battery and new cover sticks out so far out the back of the unit that the snap on holder that attaches to the yoke mount or windshield mount wont attach.

looks like i might have to get several of the small batteries instead since I rent my aircraft and they don't always have a working 12V supply.

Anyone come up with another solution yet?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimha2005 View Post
I've had the AV80R for about two months now and have been really impressed with it's simplicity, but also its power both in flying and driving mode.

I purchased the larger battery to help with everyones biggest complaint, but now I have another...Anyone figure out how to use the big battery with the mounting equipment supplied with the unit?

The big battery and new cover sticks out so far out the back of the unit that the snap on holder that attaches to the yoke mount or windshield mount wont attach.

looks like i might have to get several of the small batteries instead since I rent my aircraft and they don't always have a working 12V supply.

Anyone come up with another solution yet?
Jim,
I was about to purchase the larger battery until I read this!

Have you tried leaving the battery cover off? The mount would then hold the battery in. Just wondering.

I like the AV8OR also. I just got the WX Worx receiver and will be posting some screen shots pretty soon.

Mark
FFI FL-24
A&P