What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Self Aligning Rivet Set Problem

svennijo

I bought this rivet set that is self aligning but have a problem.
Here is a link to see a photo:
http://www.averytools.com/pc-31-91-flush-swivel-rivet-set.aspx

It is the flush set with a big spring and a rubber guard. It seems like the rubber guard is too high. With pressure from the bucking bar it seems to hold the rivet away and I have not been able to drive a sucessful rivet with it yet.

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Change in technique?

The rubber guard should extend beyond the flat driving surface of the set... Not much, maybe 1/16" or 3/32", and should be pretty flexable. The guard helps to keep the set from sliding around. If the rubber has hardened it may be keeping the set from sitting flat against the skin surface.

How much hand pressure (pushing down) on the gun side are you used to using with other sets? More pressure on the bucking bar side during the initial trigger pull/squeez and the rivet will swell with the head of the rivet raised slightly.

Rivet set

I have one of these sets, and have found it hard to use. The rubber extends too far past the driver head. My fix was to sand down the rubber guard a bit on a block a little at a time,,and give it a try. My advice is to practice with a straight guarded set until you can drive them straight. It does a better job with proper technique, and a bit of practice.

Good luck. Chris

Back