What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sioux Air Drill with Sticky Trigger

swaltner

I purchased my tool set from Avery back in April 2003 and have mostly been happy with the tools. The angle drive unit they included was junk, but I've heard they dropped that from their kit and I've replaced it with a nice right-angle air drill...

The problem I've run into is that during the last year, my Sioux air drill has been getting pretty bad about the trigger sticking on. It's pretty difficult to tease the trigger on because of friction in the trigger. It's off, then finally slips and goes to 50% throttle or more. To turn off the drill, I need to push the trigger out. This obviously makes the drill a little difficult to use.

I thought I was pretty good about putting oil into the drill, but maybe I didn't do enough. Any ways, is there anything I can easily do at home to try and lube up the trigger to get it working properly again?

I'm in Wichita, so if all else fails, I'll take it down to The Yard Store and have them rebuild the drill. Just wondering if there is a cheaper solution to get the trigger working nicely again.

Steve

Sic Souix

Sent mine to a Souix service center in Fresno, you can look up the center near you on line. Took a week and about $40.

Re: Back to Bob

Send it back to Avery. They are great with service.

Before posting this question, I had thought about calling Avery to see what they suggested, but didn't figure it was worth it on a tool that was 5.5 years old. I called down a couple days ago and Bob Avery said, "Ship it back to us. We'll fix it up." He said they could find parts from some other drills they have cannibalized to get it working nice again.

I've got a couple local RV buddies coming over to help on the RV in a couple minutes. Even with the sticky trigger, I didn't want to be without the drill this weekend, so I've held onto it and will ship it to them on Monday.

Thanks for the prompting to call Avery Tools.

Steve

Actually, mine did this after about 3.5 years. All I had to do was take the trigger apart (there's a punch pin to push out just aft of the trigger) and clean everything, oil it, and put it back together. Good as new. I'd try to fix it yourself before you spend the postage to send it to Bob. Hope this helps.

Sioux Drill

Glad this topic came up. My brand new Sioux drill is doing exactly the same thing. I thought that I just had a dud but it seems to be a common problem with what is suppose to be a top of the line air drill. Wonder why? Mine started 2nd-3rd time that I used it, and to stop it running I have to disconnect the air line. I'll try the cleaning thing.
Thanks,
Mike H 9A/8A

I bought a new Sioux when I started this project. I then bought a used Atlas-Copco drill with a keyless Rohm chuck from the Yard store for as a backup.
I've never seen any drill with a more accurate chuck, or a nicer trigger than the Atlas! Haven't picked up the Sioux drill since.

Atlas-Copco makes a very nice drill (and rivet guns, too). When I worked for Agusta in Italy, that's what their toolroom issued us. The price for a new one will make your head spin, though...

sticky Trigger

Bought mine and had the same problem from the get go.
I removed the trigger and found the rubber o ring to be the sticky part.
Just for the heck of it I removed the o ring and put it back together to confirm my finding, fully expecting it to leak air.
It performed flawlessly ever since and no air leak.
I did not like that on an expensive new air drill but I just did not want to send it back.

Back