What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Area 660, no updates? No Charts for Canada?

riobison

Well Known Member
Gents,

I have just picked up my Brand New Area 660. Nice and bright so a big improvement over my Area 500.

Now looking for En-Route Charts for Southern BC and Central Alberta there is nothing. The screen is Black. It does show my track line. I can see the US charts but nothing for Canada

So I have tried to down load updates over my Wi Fi and it says none available. Set up there was easy enough.

Then I have gone through my Windows on my computer to up date and that doesn’t appear to be operating 100% correctly and also says there are no updates.

So am I missing something? Even new are these GPS’s 100% fully up to date? There are no Charts for Canada?

I’ve tried Garmin’s web site and help line and still nothing back.

Thanks
Tim

I can't answer about CA charts but Garmin recently had a problem with ransom-ware so they may not be fully back up yet.

-Marc

Gents,

I have just picked up my Brand New Area 660. Nice and bright so a big improvement over my Area 500.

Now looking for En-Route Charts for Southern BC and Central Alberta there is nothing. The screen is Black. It does show my track line. I can see the US charts but nothing for Canada

So I have tried to down load updates over my Wi Fi and it says none available. Set up there was easy enough.

Then I have gone through my Windows on my computer to up date and that doesn’t appear to be operating 100% correctly and also says there are no updates.

So am I missing something? Even new are these GPS’s 100% fully up to date? There are no Charts for Canada?

I’ve tried Garmin’s web site and help line and still nothing back.

Thanks
Tim

Hello Tim,

This lack of understanding is probably the core of the problem. Garmin manufactures the Aera 660 and loads a base set of U.S. databases just so the unit will operate when powered up. Depending on how long the unit was on shelves before sold, these databases can be weeks to months old.

Garmin ships a free database coupon with every Aera 660 that allows you to go onto FlyGarmin.com, create a user account (if you don't already have one), add the new Aera 660 as a Device, and purchase a full set of databases, at no cost, which are specific to your part of the world.

When you choose and purchase the databases, you are given the opportunity to enter the coupon code which makes the databases free to you.

There are certainly IFR/VFR charts for Canada, and you will be able to choose these when you go through the above process.

CanadaCharts.png

Once you have completed this process, your new Canada specific databases will be available to download over WiFi onto the Aera 660.

Here is a video that might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6DRvJ3d3g

Steve

Last edited:
Note that you can have Canadian charts loaded, or US charts loaded, but not both at the same time. Charts as in VTA/VNC/Sectional/Terminal. While you're in the "trial" period you can download both but downloading one will delete the other... Be sure you end up with the Canadian ones before the trial period expires.

Garmin or Jeppesen Data Base

I see where i went wrong. Ok, now more confusion. Do I want Jeppesen or Garmin Data bases for here in Canada?

Thanks

Tim

Wow, what a process. The down load via Wi Fi didn't work. Went with Garmin and figured out what was best for what and where I fly.

None of it was simple, quick nor was it easy. Any way its all on my 660.

Good thing the GPS to operate is intuitive as the rest of it wasn't.

Tim

Back