What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke system RV-8

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello!

Any suggestions on a recommended smoke system that works well with the 8? I assume most people put the tank in the forward lower part of the nose baggage compartment?

Cheers!

Hi Wingnut,

I have installed a Smoke System from Marvin (smoke system helper). I just modified it a bit to make it easier to install and remove it from the Aircraft.

I wanted to be able to install and remove the system within 2min without Tools. Further I wanted to use a small button on my Tosten grip to switch the smoke ON and OFF. Thus I made a bracket to attach the pump and electronic box and welded it to the tank.

To be able to service the relay and electronics, I wanted them to stay with the smoke system. So I designed and 3D printed a special box where I could install the electronic board and relay which is attached to the before mentioned bracket.

The quick disconnect for the oil line to the firewall is done with a race-car quick disconnect coupling with check valves. I don`t want any smoke oil in the baggage compartment and for sure no smoke from the exhaust in the cabin.

To electrically connect the smoke system I have used a Special SUB-D connector with two large pins for power. To make sure no debris is going into the connectors as long as the smoke system is not installed I added a D-SUB cover. To avoid the cover from dangling around I also installed a dummy - D-SUB connector. The smoke tank vent line is connected with a 1/4" bulkhead quick disconnect.

The whole Assembly is attached with two quick release knobs and a piece of airline-rail which is screwed to the (beefed up) upper baggage floor.

On my Instrument Panel I have a 2-way switch to "ARM" the smoke system. If I switch it "ON" the message "SMOKE ARMED" appears on my G3X Display. As soon as me or the rear pilot triggers the button on the stick the smoke will go on (and stays on) - the message "SMOKE ON" appears on the G3X. To switch it off I either need to push the button again or switch the system completely OFF with the switch on the panel.

As I am not flying yet I can`t say how good the system really is but I am very happy with his product so far. Of course I changed quite a bit of the stuff but thats just due to my own liking and not because a component would not work.

At least the electrical part works perfectly fine and Installation / Removal is done within minutes without special tooling. And as the tank, pump, valve etc. is removed with the system the only deadweight is a CB, a Switch some cables and everything firewall forward.

Welded bracket:
1zl7urr.png

3D printed electrical box:
29qdwkw.png

Firewall quick disconnect:
14jw8xy.png

Tank-vent coupling and D-SUB:
25jcs4y.jpg

34qp6wg.png

Installed system:
29qigs6.png

m7ywbl.png

Removed Assembly:
2j4x7ir.png

3D -Model:
33m7too.png

Last edited:
Nice

Very nice work! If you weren't so far away, I'd ask if you would be available to install one in mine!

John

Hello!

Any suggestions on a recommended smoke system that works well with the 8? I assume most people put the tank in the forward lower part of the nose baggage compartment?

Cheers!

Since I carry chocks, oil, funnel, rags, etc. in the lower baggage well, I don't want to use that for smoke oil. So I bought a rotomolded plastic tank (Ace Roto-Mold) that fits perfectly in the -8 fwd baggage compartment. Installed a submersible fuel pump, filter and bypass valve in the tank. Plumbed into the aircraft in a typical fashion. If I need to carry baggage, I unplug the power and smoke oil quick connect and remove the entire assembly. All home brew. Just another angle.

Hi Wingnut,

I have installed a Smoke System from Marvin (smoke system helper). I just modified it a bit to make it easier to install and remove it from the Aircraft.

I wanted to be able to install and remove the system within 2min without Tools. Further I wanted to use a small button on my Tosten grip to switch the smoke ON and OFF. Thus I made a bracket to attach the pump and electronic box and welded it to the tank.

To be able to service the relay and electronics, I wanted them to stay with the smoke system. So I designed and 3D printed a special box where I could install the electronic board and relay which is attached to the before mentioned bracket.

The quick disconnect for the oil line to the firewall is done with a race-car quick disconnect coupling with check valves. I don`t want any smoke oil in the baggage compartment and for sure no smoke from the exhaust in the cabin.

To electrically connect the smoke system I have used a Special SUB-D connector with two large pins for power. To make sure no debris is going into the connectors as long as the smoke system is not installed I added a D-SUB cover. To avoid the cover from dangling around I also installed a dummy - D-SUB connector. The smoke tank vent line is connected with a 1/4" bulkhead quick disconnect.

The whole Assembly is attached with two quick release knobs and a piece of airline-rail which is screwed to the (beefed up) upper baggage floor.

On my Instrument Panel I have a 2-way switch to "ARM" the smoke system. If I switch it "ON" the message "SMOKE ARMED" appears on my G3X Display. As soon as me or the rear pilot triggers the button on the stick the smoke will go on (and stays on) - the message "SMOKE ON" appears on the G3X. To switch it off I either need to push the button again or switch the system completely OFF with the switch on the panel.

As I am not flying yet I can`t say how good the system really is but I am very happy with his product so far. Of course I changed quite a bit of the stuff but thats just due to my own liking and not because a component would not work.

At least the electrical part works perfectly fine and Installation / Removal is done within minutes without special tooling. And as the tank, pump, valve etc. is removed with the system the only deadweight is a CB, a Switch some cables and everything firewall forward.

Welded bracket:
1zl7urr.png

3D printed electrical box:
29qdwkw.png

Firewall quick disconnect:
14jw8xy.png

25jcs4y.jpg

34qp6wg.png

Installed system:
29qigs6.png