What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming Quick Build fuselage with AkzoNobel epoxy primer

Tmartin66

OK guys, I have a Quick Build fuselage and want to prime the inside with AkzoNobel Epoxy primer. The inside of the fuselage appears to have been scuffed with scotchbrite and then the wash primer applied at the factory. My plan is to wipe the inside down with a light solvent to remove any oil and dirt and then shoot the inside with Akzo. Has anybody attempted this? If so, what were your results. Or, what primer and technique did you do with the inside of a QB fuselage?

Thanks in advance!

Why not just wipe it down as you mentioned and paint it with a light coat of interior paint? You will be done.

According to paint manufacturers instructions, primer is required. Typically before I have applied AkzoNobel epoxy primer in the past I have scrubbed with scotchbright and allumiprep then painted as soon as it dries. In this instance the QB Fuse was scuffed with scotchbrite and Sherwin Williams ppg60wash primer applied months ago. Just concerned with it adhering properly.

Alumiprep

According to paint manufacturers instructions, primer is required. Typically before I have applied AkzoNobel epoxy primer in the past I have scrubbed with scotchbright and allumiprep then painted as soon as it dries. In this instance the QB Fuse was scuffed with scotchbrite and Sherwin Williams ppg60wash primer applied months ago. Just concerned with it adhering properly.

Personally, I would leave the P60G2. I sprayed my entire SB inside with it. Since I was shooting, I simply applied the Jet Flex within 30 minutes. If you want to spray over it, scuff for mechanical adhesion with 400. Don't touch it with Alumiprep. It will peel off just like paint remover because the acid attacks the P60G2 as if it were bare aluminum.

With the Akzo Nobel, according to the spec sheet, the topcoat needs to go on between 1hr and 48hrs after the primer dries.

I used Akzo Nobel on my empennage. With my quickbuild wings I didn't see much point considering what I've read about the effectiveness of the washprime that was applied and the fact that it would still be impossible to prime the mated surfaces where I think priming would have the most benefit.

The epoxy primer is in preparation to apply the top coat. And yes within 48 hrs of application of epoxy primer I need to apply top coat. I was just wondering how others had approached painting the inside of a QB fuselage after joining the empennage and if they have had any issues?

Prep work

The epoxy primer is in preparation to apply the top coat. And yes within 48 hrs of application of epoxy primer I need to apply top coat. I was just wondering how others had approached painting the inside of a QB fuselage after joining the empennage and if they have had any issues?

Hopefully, someone with the experience you mention will reply, but just in case...

You might find someone with some P60G2. Shoot several samples. Wait a day or two. Scuff. Shoot one with Akzo and paint. Shoot the other with just paint. Wait a day or two. Apply some Gorilla black tape. Wait a day or two. Rip it off. My SW Jet Flex SB is sprayed over P60G2 but it was done within 30 minutes. Survived the gorilla tape test.
I've got plenty if you want, I'll shoot some samples next session. Not next week. Week after is a planned paint session.

Thanks to all that weighed in. I think I'll continue on with my plan. I still have to tape and paper everything I don't want paint on at this point. So I'll continue to monitor this post for any more information.

Again,Thanks to all!

I cleaned, scuffed, and painted my QB with an epoxy primer followed by a topcoat. It has held up well through the remainder of my build, which has included a fair amount of climb in the airplane/climb out of the airplane. Oh, and bump/drop stuff on the painted surfaces.

Scuff the existing Vans supplied primer and paint with your favorite topcoat. Check with Vans but I believe the QB primer is P60G2 without the pigment added. Should be able to scuff and paint.

Van's Primer

The kit that I am finishing was a 2002 slow build. I think, but do not know for sure, that the original builder used the same stuff Van's uses. Prep was not good, as some areas of the wash primer were... shedding. I would make sure that what you have is adhering well. If so, scuff and prime. It is a pain to take off the Van's product.

Mechanical VS chemical adhesion

I think there may be some misunderstanding on the 48 hr paint requirement. All epoxy primers that I have worked with in the past, weather PPG, SW or similar require a topcoat within 48 hours. After that general timeline they cure and loose the ability for the paint to chemically adhere. After the 48hrs a mechanical surface prep (sanding) is required for proper adhesion. If the kit is a QB of course the 48 hrs has passed and a light scuff of the vans P60G2 would be required for the paint to be able to grip the surface. Reapplying primer is not required in this case just a light scuff. This is in reference to the OP.

Hello Martin
i am facing same issue now, as my QB is on its way
what have you decided to do? did you apply a primer on top of the P60 wash?

I'm getting ready to paint my QB interior using JetFlexWR.

I talked to all manor of Sherwin Williams reps about if I needed to scuff and paint or scuff, primer and paint. None of the reps could find any literature saying what to do after the P60G2 wash primer had cured.

So I'm getting ready to scuff, clean, epoxy primer and paint.

Sherwin Williams

I'm getting ready to paint my QB interior using JetFlexWR.

I talked to all manor of Sherwin Williams reps about if I needed to scuff and paint or scuff, primer and paint. None of the reps could find any literature saying what to do after the P60G2 wash primer had cured.

So I'm getting ready to scuff, clean, epoxy primer and paint.

They gave me a similar song. I asked if P60G2 was an adequate primer. I got all kinds of sales rhetoric about using the SW primer for Jet Flex. In the end I ran tests. Turns out it stuck just fine and passed multiple Gorilla tape tests. I think I coiuld have sprayed it right on the aluminum and it would have been fine.
Bottom line, test it. Scuff a test piece with 400. Clean and spray. Wait for cure and see how it sticks. I suspect it will be fine and you may save some weight in a layer of primer.
I have lots of scraps sprayed with P69G2 if you need for testing.

Scuff then wipe down

Scuff, wipe down with a mild degreaser that I purchased (a SW product), primed with Akzo, then painted with Jetflex. So far so good. Still building though.

I too am waiting for my RV14 QB Wings and fuselage, so if I understand this discussion. The QB wings and fuselage are wash primed by Vans builders. When you take delivery, you guys are wanting to paint the internal fuselage (JetflexWR) and trying to figure out if the paint will stick to the primed surface?

If I didnt want to paint, would it be possible (or necessary) to rattle can some self etching primer to the interior for additional priming and a uniform appearance? and perhaps spray the insides of the wings.

cheers

Back