What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help- Cleco ripped dimpled rivet hole.

Tmartin66

Ok folks, let me thank you in advance for your advice. Never mind how it happened as it really chaps my rear every time I think about it. I have a dimpled rivet hole that has had a cleco ripped from it resulting in a torn rivet hole. It is located at the end of the trailing edge on the left elevator. How do I proceed short of replacing the skin. Also I'm trying to upload images for the first time. Here we go.

AF1QipMAWwQFKOIUTdM0ju8rcyap0IsoM4v7sbvnpkg3-tmp.jpg

AF1QipN6I6-r28UxWVvUky6VjFwF_a4zMLZAp0ykpApw-tmp.jpg

I'm getting two things when I try to access the pictures.

1) It wants me to log into a Google account.

2) When I do, I get a 404 error trying to view your link.

I too wanted to figure out how to post pics to this forum for future use (I'm a newbie to this forum). AND, I use google photo for my pics. Here's how I was able to post this picture of my work bench (see below).

1. Go to google photo site.
2. Open the specific photo you want to insert.
3. Right click your mouse on the photo displayed on your screen.
4. Choose option that says "Copy image address".
5. Next go back to VAF to your post and click on the "insert image" icon.
6. Right click and paste address into that box.
7. Click "preview post" below reply box and you should see your image in the preview before you send.

I also learned that if you hit the "share" option in google photo and hit the option to "get link" and copy THAT address, it will not work! I had to right click directly on the picture to get a web address that would actually load the pic.

Hope this helps!

TZyDQgsc9ePiJ8ZQ4iQeEHZnd1W5VhMAAoKytqdz33Nv_AYDq5EsIKrlr6vcO-29_V3cSCIY8vw6Pdf0gS2x9Ynw_zhP8421urja7F127c5q2k2Y6CzRjl2iZay8Wp46CZaBwX06cH8Vwgg21SKOGiOM1gkrbXOwO2fLRz10_rQkmqLPsQ7bBVZNxWI1uxUKD7J6WwXNcdFWSIiNurLzcbDuV6CnVrvgv77CJBBR2wqPf5dTaonHuBGJokGEA3gwk7F1p_RFTAIhj16UPY3GBCJwFkuzZ_AA2auKX2B3nQJB0I9z-VnLw-eiSRI8hRQrsb9I2_QlrWjrymDIb1lEVWCGVTpbAZPItw7eGq7Osgl4iIkJ3fTzS5P_EGH2krAZcRGj_tsIGj1sWghSM0sjvJLSindRACHzN66esDlJz73WCBuwH5DCGDiuZEYpsVCuxiFqPgo5ezNVAMipG4XynZAqtFI-rVibigp_Cgf_o3G1hsvbKatRURBkKSyZijVUNVbWtA7bOurthgie_AgHu5ViKndtV6DUEaDGZVq593ebs88UWglf2EuKoK7HbZZVsBMY3Jg-RHM4PHnl968MjsklNRzWaEWFcYyrrVnosr5btLtSccRWlovpm6dA5CqAIjRhKCLHfBIKdnB29aamsEyX3Ol1AT8sRNtuLEpSiw=w582-h776-no

Forgot to mention one other thing that MIGHT prevent you from loading pics from google photo. Make sure the album that contains the pic you are trying to share is set up to share with others.

If you go to "more options" icon in upper right corner of google photo album, then pick the "share" option from the drop down menu. It will then give you a button to share photo with others without a google account. Anyone with the link can see the pic.

Again, hope this helps you out. I know a picture is worth a thousand words and the ability to post a pic could be of great help in getting the advice we seek from others.

The best way I have found is go to tinypic.com upload the image and copy the link it gives you here. Hope this helps. There is also directions on other photo sharing sites if you read the thread how to post pics at the top of general discussions (it's a sticky)

Here's a link to a great post regarding google pics.

I tried the tip on resizing a photo that's too large to fit properly and it worked GREAT! Was able to reduce size of pic so it fit onto screen very nicely.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=134640

Hope I'm not responding too much, I'm just on the same learning curve about posting photos that you are and am passing along the tips as I figure them out.

OR you can just use postimage.org

Load the image there and cut & paste their provided forum link. Takes 10 seconds.

I did consider the oops rivet. Correct me if I'm wrong but the head is still the same size and the shank is slightly oversized. I don't think the oops rivet would completely cover the hole. Then there is the matter of what to do with the sharp edge of the tear.

Which model? Maybe -14? (Looks like a reflexed trailing edge.)

Is the tear too wide to shift the hole toward the tear & use a -4 rivet? The skins can be pretty forgiving on squeezing the dimples flat & redimpling. There's also the doubler patch possibility, but it would be on the outside. Bottom skin, or top?

Unrelated to thread: I notice in one photo that you have clecoed the counterbalance rib skins over the elevator skins. These go under the elevator skins. Apologies if you are aware but it's easy overlook.

I did consider the oops rivet. Correct me if I'm wrong but the head is still the same size and the shank is slightly oversized. I don't think the oops rivet would completely cover the hole. Then there is the matter of what to do with the sharp edge of the tear.

Your choice is to repair or replace.

The best repair would involve filing the burrs around the hole and installing an oops rivet. Later, you would use the filler of your choice to address any cosmetic issues. Ideally, you should place a good rivet on each side of the mistake, but you're limited in one direction, and may only be able to install one (not two) additional rivet(s). That being the case, use proseal or equivalent to strengthen the joint, and add a rivet on the side of the joint where you have good edge distance.

Or replace the skin. Your choice.

Yes it is a RV-14 and top skin.

Thanks for the advice. I will look more closely with all the suggestions in mind and determine my course of action.

You are on the right track with Google Photos - just right click on the photo while in google photo and select "copy image" - use Control-click on mac. This saves the image address to memory. Then go to your post, click the mountain icon, and then paste control-v or CMD-V , hit enter and you have it.

WBPuGaO7GhHjq4rau_yXNDH1knBSxh4Lzbnwrh8yPDbCL_pia1vVlSuMKEtzol_UofIFnSDLGJjLPZkeOywIri6xUFk9Pj8Fro1I5Va4UzsapQ-SF7J2ZyksmMVp1hHxyIkJ-xteyIH25yLmoJpD3T_9E_N3nEbVft9cipWefQWCr-G92BH8Cmo0XB_Nr8-ONuKfpGRADJPjMbRR9rCzZj1t-TiiwslAMLiRPQXR3r1iDbP-SQom9ytQRQmiQdpBZmm5MgxSkqWN7Omx4d-lYv4Q6xTbmhzvXI-PFIrtQD0NgwFldbAQvq1O9z2O6xVvicfFrzXhnDvQvxehKMag1l2-mLf66t9ttrbj_I1E7Efv_jbc_KO1FLQiVSsGp-FEe9PrfcvlOeRbPwHdSv_QO83z6qMagU8ZkFrFL2Ogn5PTPQM8pC8573r2Jpheig-VNGj8y7yHxfIEnBS1qrdBPprsb8V-qVNlS8T0a0lqW9CSQoCtnM3-XNVVDYVsFxCrbfC9PuE-wQ5mHioc9NIaqLuJ19BU7XOjtvdbadzi-Wb9BswmHtZE3GHZ8ixmQJ1HQsMVYbmhAlGG3Rzz7p12IIjNF4ZNnO8a0xO2fHyyMlGNDOyMkoqzkw29lFm2PHcyCSODErax3KH40B_YEoMslZbxRWDzcKLU0lmjA65G=w543-h723-no

Back