What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Helicoil kit

philb

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Is there still a helicoil kit for the front fork still making the rounds?

If not, anybody have the specs and I'll roll my own - the stock screw is 3/8-24 x 1 3/4, but I recall folks substituting longer. Do you still use a helicoil sized for 3/8?

Thanks!

Phil Barnette
Salt Lake City

I would be interested in knowing this also. I am about 2 weeks out from starting my plane for the first time and would like to be able to use the tow bar.

This is a mod that eliminates the steel screw to aluminum fork. The screw goes in to the helicoil instead. I have the name and contact info of the guy that provides the helicoil tool and parts if anyone is interested. Contact me by pm or email.

regards

~Marc

Ok I'm a dunce. I still don't understand the purpose of inserting a helicoil for this and I don't have the plans handy so I'm not even what screw you're talking about.

Three years and many on's and off's. No problem so far with the per plans set-up. I don't see the point in doing this unless the original threads get stripped out.

Ok I'm a dunce. I still don't understand the purpose of inserting a helicoil for this and I don't have the plans handy so I'm not even what screw you're talking about.

They are talking about the Allen head screws (2) that the towbar fits over. Apparently some people have exerted enough force (uphill?) to strip those screws out of the aluminum threads. Others wanted to put in a longer screw to extend beyond the wheel pants.
Myself, no issues with the stock set up so far.

Oh OK. That's a new one to me -- can't believe I've never heard of this before. As a data point I've got the stock bolts and a Bogart tow bar. No issues so far but I'll be conducting my first Condition Inspection at the end of the month with around 110 hrs on the airframe so will give this area some attention and see if there are any signs of distress.

Three years and many on's and off's. No problem so far with the per plans set-up. I don't see the point in doing this unless the original threads get stripped out.

Bingo!

Not required unless the original threads are foobar.

They are talking about the Allen head screws (2) that the towbar fits over. Apparently some people have exerted enough force (uphill?) to strip those screws out of the aluminum threads. Others wanted to put in a longer screw to extend beyond the wheel pants.
Myself, no issues with the stock set up so far.

I think it's more likely either overnight ending the bolts or inserting them cross-threaded that creates the need for a helicoil in most cases. Some just prefer to have steel threads instead of aluminum to start with.

I just bought a helicoil kit for these. If anybody needs it done, and they are already flying, they could stop by if/when in FL.

Great!

I've made enough modifications that have extended the build, happy to hear stock install is satisfactory in most cases - I'll hold off until problems present....

Phil

Back