Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Default Elevator Horn alignment

Hi all,

From searching and reading Smitty's log, I see that I am not the first person to realize that the e-902 and e-906 elevator spar and rib are pre-drilled for the wd-605 horn. However, when I test fit everything together (ie I have not yet riveted e-902 to e-906), the holes in wd-605 and e-906 are about 1 hole width off. I have cleco'd the horn to the spar, and then hold the rib in place to check alignment. I am hesitant to rivet the rib and spar together yet before I am sure that they will fit the horn. Perhaps riveting e-906 will compress the flange enough that it will bring the holes together but I doubt it. Has anybody else run into this? It would almost be easier if e-906 was NOT pre-drilled here.

Planning on emailing Vans but thought I may get some advice here before the weekend is over.

Chris
Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Just looking at the picture, it appears that the forward flange of the rib may not be sufficiently bent. Additional bending of the flange will allow the rib to move forward slightly.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Bending the flange a bit more did help line things up a little, I am now only about 1/2 hole width off at most. Looks like once things are snugged up and riveted the alignment should be just about right, I hope. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 AM

Default how about with the skins in place?

Have you tried the alignment with the skins in place too? Just thinking the skins might also force things into alignment better (ie: they might adjust the flange even more than you have already).
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM

Default I don't remember this being a problem with my build

.....But then that was a couple of years ago and at my age my memory is not that good

If I had that problem during the build I would use cleco's (in every hole) installed in a sequence to compress the components until everything lined up. Sometimes changing the sequence of installing the cleco's would do the job.

Hoping my 2 cents is of some help.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM

Default A little tweaking might do

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRacer View Post
If I had that problem during the build I would use cleco's (in every hole) installed in a sequence to compress the components until everything lined up. Sometimes changing the sequence of installing the cleco's would do the job.
I agree. Sometimes the parts right after stripping them off the blue vynil don't line up perfectly. Some tweaking and handling, along with proper deburring and/or filing do the rest of the job. Some other times a little extra pressure in some areas will help them allign.

If they still won't fit nicely, Van's will most likely help you further, and in most cases, replace the damaged or defective parts.

Sometimes mechanical production is not as perfect as we all wish it to be. Van's is aware of this, and will definitely replace a part rather than compromising somebody's safety
EAA #1133587
RV-8 SB Wings in Monterrey, Mexico
N511MV Registered
MyKitLog

Last edited by mvidalr : 12-30-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Typo. Grammar Nazi
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Default Elbow grease!

I remember this was a tight fit. I inserted the cleco's into all the holes. This aligned the horn to the predrilled holes...

I don't know how to upload the image from my hard drive...
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM

[Update - I think I've finally got it. I will describe how I did it in case anybody else has the same issue.] First off, I botched the first spar doing the countersinking, so I am on my second spar and rib. Still had the same hole alignment issue. I tried riveting the spar and rib together as per instructions, still no luck, even with the skins all cleco'd on. So I carefully drilled out the spar to rib rivets, and the I used my sheet metal bender to bend the flange of the rib beyond the normal angle, ie, I overbent it. Then I was able to cleco the horn first to the rib, and then wedge the assembly onto the spar, wedging the spar between the horn and the rib. Now all the holes line up, but the flange of the rib is bent up and away from the spar, which would inhibit proper riveting. So I cut the end of a large dowel at an angle and used a mallet and the dowel to slowly tap the flange of the rib down flat onto the spar. Have not quite got it flat yet but almost. Hopefully this will be the difference in making everything line up.

Chris

Last edited by YellowJacket RV9 : 01-09-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Hi,

It seems that I am not alone with this issue that took almost all my weekend and is still not completed...

Tried to find all advise on the forum, but nothing really seems to work out for me. Please find my pictures below.

- Rivets are flush.
- Left and Right elevator have some issue.
- Holes on spar aligned perfectly.
- Bend seems to be OK because it fits the skins perfectly
- Can it be imperfections on the horns?

Anyone got some advise for me?

MANY thanks!
RV9 #92188 - Working on wings
Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 PM

I had the same trouble on my 7. I ended up ordering a new rib and it fit perfectly. Maybe they had a bad production run on those ribs. That drove me nuts for a few days before I finally gave in and bought the part.
Building an RV-7
=VAF= Donor