What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SKYBOLT PIREP

Timinfla2

Good afternoon folks! I have seen Skybolt mentioned on these forums on different airframes than the 10, but I see that Skybolt has a kit purpose-built for the RV10 and I'm wondering if any of you who have purchased and installed said kit might give me a bit of guidance?

The kit is here: https://store.skybolt.com/rv1014j-c1p-p3295.aspx

It seems expensive for a mere 62 fasteners but perhaps that's because i'm not seeing the big picture of the benefits in post-build use, and/or during construction.

If anybody has experience here please fire away, thank you!

sky bolts

I went with the kit. Very happy with the results. I also opted to split my lower cowl. One person can remove or install the entire cowl in 5 minutes, no scratches or messing around with the three bladed prop.

When I was deciding, I actually checked the side hinge to the cowl and then attempted to push the 30" wire through the hinge knuckles. I then tried a smaller diameter pin, and boelube. People will also say you can grind down each individual knuckle to allow the pin to slide easier.

In the end, I opted for the sky bolts as they are fool proof and proven. I know I will be instantly flamed by those who use hinges, but you asked for my experience...

Thank you so much for posting your experience, it definitely helps me understand some of the cost/benefit balance a bit better.

Bob, did you reinforce the cowl at the firewall to prevent the pillowing that others have seen with Sky Bolts?

yes

Yes, I added a layer of f/g, and also went with around a 3" distance between sky bolts.

I still get some minor (maybe 1/16" or less) pillowing above 160 KTAS around the top of the firewall.

I went with the quarter-turn fasteners on my 9A, and will certainly do the same on my -10.

I used Skybolts around the firewall on the RV-7A that I built, and in my more recent RV-10 build, I just used screws and nutplates. I found that overtime the Skybolts were a bit of a hassle, when the cowling wares a bit, they tend to fall out when take the cowl off.

With a powered screw gun, it probably takes me 2-3 min longer to remove the screws vs 1/4 fasteners. I don't have any pillowing at speed, and I liked the price better... it was probably around $12 of nutplates and screws vs $500+ for the firewall kit.

Reactions: 8CW
I used Skybolts around the firewall on the RV-7A that I built, and in my more recent RV-10 build, I just used screws and nutplates. I found that overtime the Skybolts were a bit of a hassle, when the cowling wares a bit, they tend to fall out when take the cowl off.

With a powered screw gun, it probably takes me 2-3 min longer to remove the screws vs 1/4 fasteners. I don't have any pillowing at speed, and I liked the price better... it was probably around $12 of nutplates and screws vs $500+ for the firewall kit.

I’m interested to know what you used for spacing and how much space you left between the series of screws on the top and the series of screws on the sides, to avoid pillowing. Did you need to reinforce to avoid pillowing. Would you post some photos?

Last edited:
Skybolts

I used Skybolts on my 7A.
Part 3 of my Cowl series came out in Kitplanes this month. Part 3 is Skybolts.
Standard spacing
Every cowl edge was reinforced with a 1" strip of carbon fiber covered with 1" of fiberglass.
20221028_160215.jpg

Good afternoon folks! I have seen Skybolt mentioned on these forums on different airframes than the 10, but I see that Skybolt has a kit purpose-built for the RV10 and I'm wondering if any of you who have purchased and installed said kit might give me a bit of guidance?

The kit is here: https://store.skybolt.com/rv1014j-c1p-p3295.aspx

It seems expensive for a mere 62 fasteners but perhaps that's because i'm not seeing the big picture of the benefits in post-build use, and/or during construction.

If anybody has experience here please fire away, thank you!

You are in Florida go to SnF HBP and look at 10's with different cowl options.

I'm in process of installing skybolts on my 10 now over in Clermont. I actually had installed the fw flanges early on at 3.5 spacing and no reinforcement (hadn't drilled the cowl yet.) Today I removed all the flanges , will put a spacer to account for reinforcing and I'm adding carbon/fg layer(s) on cowling along firewall. Will move spacing to 3" on top transitioning to 3.5" 1/2 way down the side. It took me a while to figure out the spacing that I want and now I'm full steam ahead. Will have skybolts at 7/8" off top and bottom of split at firewall that will look nice.

It's a bit of a do over but will be worth the extra couple days so I don't have to wish it later.

Last edited:
Maybe my experience is different, but I helped a buddy put his skybolt cowl back on his flying -7a.. what a pita! I can put a hinge type cowl on both my -4 and my buddys -9a in the time it took to put this -7a cowl back on.. plus the hinge cowl looks so much better. The skybolt fasteners seem like quality hardware, but not for me..

Skybolts Look Soo Nice

We have 14, 7, 8, here. Skybolts are loved by everybody here that use them. The 7 has a hinge in one area and the black aluminum dust from hinges is continually streaming out from wear.

Not a problem at all to remove/install cowling. Very easy. Have them on my Cessna also.

The skybolt or camlock setup just looks soo nice.

Maybe my experience is different, but I helped a buddy put his skybolt cowl back on his flying -7a.. what a pita! I can put a hinge type cowl on both my -4 and my buddys -9a in the time it took to put this -7a cowl back on.. plus the hinge cowl looks so much better. The skybolt fasteners seem like quality hardware, but not for me..

From my experience - that must be a poor install on the 7A.

My buddy has the hinges on his 8 and I can take my skybolt 8 off and on twice in the time it takes him. Sky bolts all the way but both work. I wanted the contrast of the fasteners against the paint.

Back