What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall angles countersink depth

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I’ve countersunk the firewall angles using the standard technique of going 7/100ths deeper than a flush rivet to account for the dimpled firewall.

After riveting I found that the firewall was not exactly flush against the angle as is shown in the attached picture.

Two questions: 1) Should a go deeper with the countersink? It is getting very close to enlarging the hole on the angle. 2) If so do you think I need to drill out the rivets on this first angle that I’ve installed, and countersink deeper?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 58
I’ve countersunk the firewall angles using the standard technique of going 7/100ths deeper than a flush rivet to account for the dimpled firewall.

After riveting I found that the firewall was not exactly flush against the angle as is shown in the attached picture.

Two questions: 1) Should a go deeper with the countersink? It is getting very close to enlarging the hole on the angle. 2) If so do you think I need to drill out the rivets on this first angle that I’ve installed, and countersink deeper?

A small gap is fine. Going deeper than 0.007" may compromise the strength of the joint. Check out this post and the linked posts: https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1251530&postcount=10

Thanks

I should know this after 1 1/2 builds. For some reason, in this case I had a completely unobstructed view of the joint, and it made me second guess my technique.

Thanks for the link!

Michael-

Back