What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting heat shrink

wirejock

Well Known Member
This is a cool trick
I'm doing lots of wiring and making lots of mistakes.
Removing heat shrink is a real pain.
I borrowed (stole) my Sweetie's seam ripper. She's a seamstress so maybe she won't notice one missing.
If she does, I can buy eight for $5
8Pcs Sewing Seam Rippers, Handy Stitch Rippers for Sewing/Crafting Removing Threads Tools (4 Large & 4 Small) https://a.co/d/i3EQmpf
Anyway, take the seam ripper and dull the pointy end on the grinder. The other point should have a ball on it.
Slip the point with the ball inside and it slices right through.
If it won't go through, flip it over and use the dulled pointy end.

Last edited:
She'll notice. Best to have your response ready for when she wants to know why one of her tools is in your box.:D

I'm a parachute rigger and so I've had a seam ripper in my toolbox for awhile now and it's a great addition! Now what you need is a fid. :D

She'll notice. Best to have your response ready for when she wants to know why one of her tools is in your box.:D

I'm a parachute rigger and so I've had a seam ripper in my toolbox for awhile now and it's a great addition! Now what you need is a fid. :D

FID?
I always called it a stick!
I've spliced some.

To be fair, I wrote the post to be funny. My sense of humor.
Sweetie has lots of them. She was happy to share one with the factory. I get lots of stuff from her Aviation Supply. :D

Oh yes, of course, I totally caught the humor part and was attempting to reply in kind. (We don't get any of the really cool emojis like they have over on BeechTalk though :()

A Rigger's Fid. Used in the parachuting world for finger trapping lines but great for mechanics snaking or retrieving wires through confined areas or sheathing. Easily made to your specifications with safety wire and a wooden dowel.

Attachments

• Riggers Fid.jpg
    Riggers Fid.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 94
8Pcs Sewing Seam Rippers, Handy Stitch Rippers for Sewing/Crafting Removing Threads Tools (4 Large & 4 Small) https://a.co/d/i3EQmpf

Wirejock, here's a tip for you:

It's easy to create proper hyperlinks.

1. Copy the URL to your clipboard.

2. Highlight the word or phrase you'd like to use to create the link.

3. With the word or phrase highlighted, click the globe-with-the-chain-link icon (just beneath the smiley face).

4. A pop-up box will open. Paste the full link in the box and click "okay."

Link is now created.

8Pcs Sewing Seam Rippers, Handy Stitch Rippers for Sewing/Crafting Removing Threads Tools

Builder Blog

Link.jpg

Tips

Wirejock, here's a tip for you:
It's easy to create proper hyperlinks.
  1. Copy the URL to your clipboard.
  2. Highlight the word or phrase you'd like to use to create the link.
  3. With the word or phrase highlighted, click the globe-with-the-chain-link icon (just beneath the smiley face).
  4. A pop-up box will open. Paste the full link in the box and click "okay."
<snipped>

I just got lazy. It's a PIA on my phone.

Oh yes, of course, I totally caught the humor part and was attempting to reply in kind. (We don't get any of the really cool emojis like they have over on BeechTalk though :()

A Rigger's Fid. Used in the parachuting world for finger trapping lines but great for mechanics snaking or retrieving wires through confined areas or sheathing. Easily made to your specifications with safety wire and a wooden dowel.

That's a FID. I thought a FID was used to braid ropes.

I was a Telecom Manager. Hence the "wirejock". I've got all sorts of snakes, but usually I just use a hunk of Cat5 or a coat hangar. I have done some really difficult runs in insulated spaces and pulled many rolls of 200 pair through conduit with Icky Pic. I actually have a bottle and used it to pull speaker wires in our house conduits.

Married to a long arm quilter. Glad Larry is married to an understanding wife like mine, but for anyone else married to a sewer, they will notice. Do not walk drive or run, fly to the local fabric store and buy her a big gift certificate and a new pair of stitch rippers. That might have been her favorite one.

Last edited:
Seamstress

Married to a long arm quilter. Glad Larry is married to an understanding wife like mine, but for anyone else married to a sewer, they will notice. Do not walk drive or run, fly to the local fabric store and buy her a big gift certificate and a new pair of stitch rippers. That might have been her favorite one.

Do not. I repeat. Do not, ever, ever touch a seamstress's favorite shears! We made the mistake of allowing a so called sharpener sharpen her shears. Basically made a paper weight. OMG! It took me hours on a stone to fix the edge.
Plus, she's a lefty.
Happy Wife...

Back