What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop length

Vans says 74" on the A models and 72" on the taildragger. There was a big discussion on this a while back and as I recall, this recommendation is to keep the prop ground clearance at the same minimum that's required for pt.23 airplanes.

For the -9A with the (I)O-320: the C2YL-1BF/F7663-4, 72" diameter, 7/16" bolts.

For the -9A with the (I)O-360: either the C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2, 72" diameter, or the C2YR-1BFP/F7497, 74" diameter.

Ref: https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/hartzell-propeller-order-form/

Where are you seeing that? To the best of my knowledge, Vans still pukes all over the idea of anything bigger than a 320 on the RV9?

Here's a cut and paste from the page you referenced:

Propeller size note:

The 74" blade diameter propellers are applicable to all "A" model RVs plus the RV-8.
The 72" blade diameter propellers are recommended for all tailwheel aircraft (except the RV-8 as noted above) to ensure adaquate ground clearance for those models.

Last edited:
I included the 180 HP prop choices because there are more than a few RV-9/9As equipped with 180 HP Lycomings, contrary to what Van's originally intended and not an officially recognized option.

i-CrLPVkx-M.jpg

However, on the page linked below from an earlier thread on 180 HP engines on RV-9/9As, Scott M. ("rvbuilder2002") indicated that there are NO structural design reasons that would preclude the installation of a 180 HP engine on RV-9/9As. See Posts #29 & #30.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=179222&highlight=vno&page=3

Last edited:
Vne

I

However, on the page linked below from an earlier thread on 180 HP engines on RV-9/9As, Scott M. ("rvbuilder2002") indicated that there are NO structural design reasons that would preclude the installation of a 180 HP engine on RV-9/9As. See Posts #29 & #30.

Except one may be able to exceed Vne straight and level.

Except one may be able to exceed Vne straight and level.

Regardless of engine power, the pilot must ensure that he/she does not exceed the design speeds in any attitude. There is nothing magic about straight & level. That is discussed in Posts #29 & #30:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=179222&highlight=vno&page=3

The whole 180 HP on RV-9/9As has been hashed out in many previous threads. There is no reason to repeat it all in this thread.

Last edited:
Getting a little off track here, but I understand the IO-390 on the RV8 can exceed Vne in level flight at full power. This can't be much different than the 180hp IO-360 in an RV9.

Lots of airplanes can overspeed in level flight with the power left up too high. This is controlled by the pilot with the engine power controls. Stay under Vno or TAS Vne, whichever is lower. A 172 is a gutless wonder and not a problem. Transitioning to a powerful and speedy airplane, be aware and anticipate the need to pull the throttle back when flying level with the power high.

Back