What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNC-420W remote frequency switch

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I'm looking for cheapest way to get IFR WAAS into my plane and am considering a GNC-420 unit with a recalcitrant flip/flop button. Can any one confirm that these units have an input for remotely switching com frequencies, like a button on the control stick?
Incidentally, what would be a realistic good price for a GNC-420W or maybe a GPS-400W?

if you get really lucky some contact cleaner sprayed into the switch might fix it. I've had my 400W open but I don't recall what the switches look like.

many years ago I got a 400W for $3600.

Incidentally, what would be a realistic good price for a GNC-420W or maybe a GPS-400W?

I’ve had a 420W for over a dozen years, and it’s been a good box. But if it now needed work, it’d be a tough call. I’d be squeezed between Garmin’s nearly $2k price for any repair, or a brand new 175 (no com, of course) for $5K. IMHO if you could buy one for $3K I’d say that’s a good deal. But I think people are asking $4K, and for that much I think I’d ante up another $1k and get a new 175.

Bob, thanks for the pinout.
As to serviceability, I thought Garmin no longer serviced the units at any cost due to parts shortages and obsolescence. I might be too silly thinking I can find a nice 420W for under $3k, but the age and no support make it dubious paying even that. I agree what you say expensive 400W/420W repairs vs new 175.

GNC 420 (W) Repair

Bob, thanks for the pinout.
As to serviceability, I thought Garmin no longer serviced the units at any cost due to parts shortages and obsolescence. I might be too silly thinking I can find a nice 420W for under $3k, but the age and no support make it dubious paying even that. I agree what you say expensive 400W/420W repairs vs new 175.

I am not sure where this rumor began, but we still repair GNS (including GNC 420) units. We actually made an announcement just this morning detailing our repair service plan for these units and some of the limitations we will face in the future due to our ability to stock certain components. As of the time of this post, you have access to full repair services for these units.

Thanks,

Justin

I have a 420W in my RV9a that I would sell for $3k if someone is looking.

The screen does have some opague issues (vinegar I think is what they call it), but once unit is on is not noticeable.

Still in the plane in Louisville Ky.

ty1295 at gmail if someone is looking for a 420w in particular.

Back