What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY grinder wheel

Cardboard

That's awesome. I bet it works great for deburring. I may make a 6"X1" for the grinder.

Amazing what folks come up with.
A polishing wheel cost about $5, so not sure it’s worth the time to diy.

Still cool though…..

Wear your eye protection! When that cardboard gives out there's gonna be a flurry of activity around the business end of that grinder!!! :eek:

Cardboard wheel

I made one. Only took a few minutes. You need a lot more disks than you think. I must have cut 15 and could have used more. A few in between were thinner from beer cases. No I don't drink that much. I have a vending machine in my shop and occasionally have to restock it. Put a cereal box layer between each cardboard and one each side outside. It will help keep the stack together. Definately pound them flat before bonding. No need to draw the center hole. I used Elmers spread with a credit card. The stack was clamped between two hard boards over night. Drill the center hole a little smaller than the arbor so it fits snug then dress it the outer edge with a sanding board.
It's pretty hard but doesn't debur at all. I tried to remove a burr on a piece of scrap. It just made the burr shiny. It's more of a polishing texture. It was fun. Thanks for the diversion.
20230310_093839.jpg

I have known about this process of making wheels for many a year and I don't have enough patience to make and use them.
They do work though.
Kinda a cool DIY project.
It is a lot of messing around to get there, only to find out it vibrates the #&^ out of the bench. I have enough trouble with real wheels.
Maybe, I have more money than time I would guess.

Art

I looked at the knife-sharpening and thought - "not on my knives, just no way."

Dave

No doubt about that. Short term solution that would straighten cutting feathers, long term PIA by rounding the cutting face. Next time that knife goes to the stone it will take forever to reestablish the chisel all the way to the point.

Last edited:
Vibration

I have known about this process of making wheels for many a year and I don't have enough patience to make and use them.
They do work though.
Kinda a cool DIY project.
It is a lot of messing around to get there, only to find out it vibrates the #&^ out of the bench. I have enough trouble with real wheels.
Maybe, I have more money than time I would guess.

Art

Maybe I got lucky. It doesn't vibrate any more than the other wheels. Time involved was maybe an hour.

It's pretty hard but doesn't debur at all. I tried to remove a burr on a piece of scrap. It just made the burr shiny. It's more of a polishing texture. It was fun. Thanks for the diversion.
View attachment 39489

It should debur if you use an aggressive enough compound. Also, the video appears to show corrugated cardboard, which is much courser and porous than non corrugated, like a cereal box or beer carton. Corrugated cardboard would absorb the polishing compound better, even flattened, due to the course fibers.
Regular commercial polishing wheels are quite porous and you can load them with a quite a lot of compound.

Still, they make quite a mess compared to a 3M Scotchbrite wheel.

Still, they make quite a mess compared to a 3M Scotchbrite wheel.
Kind of like riding a bike through the mud without mud guards.

It may have its use but the scotch brite wheel has many, many uses.
It is even useful for things it wasn't intended for and much more.....
Maybe install the cardboard wheel on a second grinder for special purposes.

Cardboard wheel

Kind of like riding a bike through the mud without mud guards.

It may have its use but the scotch brite wheel has many, many uses.
It is even useful for things it wasn't intended for and much more.....
Maybe install the cardboard wheel on a second grinder for special purposes.

I just made it as a diversion. It was a fun project. I keep a fabric polishing wheel on the opposite side. This cardboard wheel will live out its life on the shelf unless I find a use for it.. :D

Back