What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble searching manual

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
I am trying to search the manual but with limited results. For example, searching the term 'Bellcrank' or 'bellcrank' only gets one result (canopy section) even though I am looking at the word in the fuselage chapter. Tried searching the file straight from Vans website as well as the one on the USB purchased from Vans. Anyone have success at this (in other words, me/my computer or that's just the way it is from Vans)? I only have the free version of Adobe reader, if that's of consequence.

Thanks in advance!

I am trying to search the manual but with limited results. For example, searching the term 'Bellcrank' or 'bellcrank' only gets one result (canopy section) even though I am looking at the word in the fuselage chapter. Tried searching the file straight from Vans website as well as the one on the USB purchased from Vans. Anyone have success at this (in other words, me/my computer or that's just the way it is from Vans)? I only have the free version of Adobe reader, if that's of consequence.

Thanks in advance!

Which model are you talking about?

I have noticed in the electronic version of the RV-10 Fuselage plans, that searches only work up until a certain section, and then nothing is found after a certain page, even if it's obviously there. I'm not sure if the latter pages of the manual were scanned and not OCR'd or if it some other problem with whatever method they used to create the manual.

Manual

Yep. I wish they would put some effort into the early model manuals. Can we help?
My blog is searchable.

Running Adobe Reader - Free version...
Ctrl-F, search term "bellcrank" (no quotes in the Find window) - yields 33 hits.

From the plans and manual look at the following.

See DWGs 9, 10A, 15A for W-730 Bellcrank installation (Wings)
Section 7 - Page 7-11

See DWG 26 for F-635 Bellcrank installation (Fuselage)
Section 8 - Page 8-3, 8-11, 8-15, 8-16, 8-17

See DWG 47 for the Canopy Release mechanism (Bellcrank...)
Section 9, Page 9-1.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. That's exactly how I did my search, and again with a capital B, only one hit.

I was just using bellcrank as an example to try the search function. And now I have tried it on an IPad with the same result (1 hit in the canopy section).

Back