What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag hot wire routed with engine sensor wires?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

has anybody had a problem routing the power wire for their Pmags in the same bundle with the sensor wires going into a G3x system? My google-fu didn't reveal an answer one way or the other.

Specifically, coming across to the left side of my engine, it would be a lot cleaner installation if I can run the wiring for the left Pmag in the same bundle as the sensor wires going to CHT, EGT, Fuel flow & fuel pressure. They would run in the same bundle for about 24".

I can always butterfly two adel clamps and stand them off by about 1/2" but it would be "prettier". if I can avoid that.

opinions?

I have a GRT with two pmags and all my wires are in one bundle and one firewall penetration - no issues.

To be on the safe side, you could use a shielded wire.
The shield should then be connected to GND in one end only.

Good luck

I purchased the potted wiring option, which is all unshielded. They’ve been installed for over a year without any issues.

This is a relatively low voltage wire and will have no affect on the sensors and does not require to be a shielded wire. Mine has been routed that way and have had zero issues.

in shade tree mechanics terms; so as to make it an electrical dead end versus a continuous path. No place to "flow" -> no ground loop -> no noise.

in shade tree mechanics terms; so as to make it an electrical dead end versus a continuous path. No place to "flow" -> no ground loop -> no noise.

Ah, gotcha.

Can you describe what that ground loop noise might sound like? I’ve got a rpm-related crackle that breaks my radio’s squelch but doesn’t make noise over the ICS (with the radio turned off)

Ah, gotcha.

Can you describe what that ground loop noise might sound like? I’ve got a rpm-related crackle that breaks my radio’s squelch but doesn’t make noise over the ICS (with the radio turned off)

For better visibility/potential advice, I’d in-bury your question in a new thread. Someone is bound to have experienced and fixed a similar issue already.

Back