What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opinions Please!

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My main bus wire (6AWG) from the contactors to the bus currently rubs on the engine mount as shown in two places. Is this going to be a problem? If so, are more Adel clamps the solution?

Main Bus Wire Contact on Engine Mount.jpg

problem

Yes, that will eventually be a problem. An easy fix with adel clamps.

There was an emergency landing made at our airport a couple of years ago; turns out the B lead was rubbing on, wait for it, an exhaust pipe. When the insulation wore through, the B lead welded itself to the pipe and blew the 60 amp breaker, which obviously could not be reset. I happened to be at the airport and made a new B lead but, unfortunately, the overcurrent damaged some of the dynon electronics. Airplane sat for a couple of weeks...

Not aircraft related, but I just had a power supply blow up in an air handler due to wires touching tubing. The vibration eventually wore through the insulation and shorted.

The wire touching the mount isn’t an issue if it was securely tied to the mount so it could not move and abrade. However, standing off with the adel will guarantee this won’t happen and is much better.

My local hardware store sells something called "Rescue Tape". Amazon sells it, too. It's a silicone tape that self-adheres. It is good to 500 degrees F and huge amounts of pressure. Also it is electrically non-conductive. I've used it in lots of places where one might use a zip tie, but is concerned that the zip tie could melt, break, or chafe on what it is holding. My TC, DAR, and some A&P friends all gave it a big thumbs up for securing wires, control cable housings, plumbing, etc every place something could theoretically move or chafe someday.

It's about $1 a foot, so it isn't cheap. But it really works great.

Cables

Couple of options
-Maybe reroute and shorten the cable?
-Add an Adel to the pair at the bottom. I have a couple places where more then two are stacked. I add a washer in between if necessary. Adding to an existing pair saves a few grams.
-Self Fusing Silicone tape works great but it doesnt have tons of strength like an Adel. I buy rolls on Amazon. Exact same brand as the high dollar stuff. Secure wirh a breeze clamp, waxed lashing string, safety wire, etc. I use it to protect stuff from abrasion.
-Slip the cable through a section of firesleeve.

This Should Work

This is what I came up with:

MAan Bus Wire Secured.jpg

This should work well. Very secure. Thanks for the comments. I think I knew the answer before I asked.

BTW, I have abandoned those phillips head #10 screws for AN3 bolts with Adel clamps. WAY easier to tighten without camming out the phillips heads.

Last edited:
You're solution looks like it should work fine, but just in case; instead of silicone tape, you could just shoot a glob of rtv in there. Just another option for your bag of tricks...

Your solution for that one problem is fine. But I see an electric cable chafing a fuel Lin, as well as wires and hoses chafing elsewhere. Roul of thumb, can you wiggle a line or wire, if so does it contact anything? If it doesn’t your golden, but if it does then you need to secure it. Putting anti chafe materials were possibility of chafing is evident is good practice. Think about rerouting if you need to. I know I changed my routing several times, and I’m not as far along as you.

This advice comes from an old quality control inspector, with the big boys. I also have an AnP

Hope this helps
RD

Keep in mind, that wire is not fuse protected. And it's a big wire that can carry a lot of current. If you're running a LIon battery, even more of a concern IMO. I wouldn't give it any chance of touching/chafing on anything, it's bad practice. You've got a real challenge, it's very busy in there.

I had a car battery short to ground in my pickup truck one time and that battery was one fire in about a minute or so.

This is what I came up with:

View attachment 39076

This should work well. Very secure. Thanks for the comments. I think I knew the answer before I asked.

BTW, I have abandoned those phillips head #10 screws for AN3 bolts with Adel clamps. WAY easier to tighten without camming out the phillips heads.

I am trying to understand why you are routing that cable on the side of the engine mount you are showing in your pic. Route that cable on the other side of the engine mount tubes and reverse the adel clamps. You can avoid all contact points on that cable if you do so. As bbsd noted, you have other chafing areas where another cable is rubbing against a fuel line. No two cables, wires, fuel/oil lines should be allowed to contact anything that will rub or chafe.

Contact Removed

I shortened the starter cable, and now, with Adels mounted as shown, no contact between fuel line and starter cable.

Starter Cable Fuel Line Separation.jpg

I am trying to understand why you are routing that cable on the side of the engine mount you are showing in your pic. Route that cable on the other side of the engine mount tubes and reverse the adel clamps. You can avoid all contact points on that cable if you do so. As bbsd noted, you have other chafing areas where another cable is rubbing against a fuel line. No two cables, wires, fuel/oil lines should be allowed to contact anything that will rub or chafe.

Not sure I can do that without the cable rubbing somewhere else.

Back