What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting 12V to 5V for CO Detector

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My Aithre EX3.0 needs 5V supply voltage. I am not sure how to supply this. I have done some basic research and found resistors and zener diodes used as step down converters in low current applications, but, with my limited electrical skills (read, none) I don't feel comfortable doing custom wiring unless it is tried an true. There are little step down converters available, but, again, how reliable are these coming from Amazon and Walmart? Obviously outside my comfort zone.

If your intention is to connect this to your EFIS, there should be a usable 5V output available, just pay attention to the current requirement of the sensor versus the specifications for your equipment.

All USB power supplies are 5v - easy way is find one with the right current output for the CO detector and wire it in. Just test it first to make sure it doesn't cause static on your radios, USB 12v->5v convertors can be 'noisy' if not designed right. Price isn't always the way to tell either, I've had expensive ones be awful, and cheap ones work great. Which is also a warning if you try to roll your own - done wrong your radios will be unusable.

Mark

Thanks guys. Turns out my Dynon EMS220 has the 5v output I need.

Please do some research. These are usually provided for sensors and have pretty low current ratings, like under 100 mA. Guessing the CO detector consumes a whole bunch more current than a sensor. You can get a buck convertor for about $5. Repairing blown components in the EMS will be a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Ok to use 12V if Aithre Shield EX series made after...

The Aithre Shield EX Installation instructions ( you can find the link to the google doc on https://aithreaviation.com/pages/resources )

Says:
Red – 5V (12V ACCEPTABLE FOR DEVICES MADE AFTER MARCH 23, 2021)
§ Do NOT connect 24V power supplies
§ Total current draw is very low at around 5 mA

I'm planning to use the 5V outputs on my Garmin GEA 24 since they are available.

SkyView 5v output

Yes, you can use the 5v output from pin 15 from the EMS220.

I have install it in 3 aircraft, including my own, and we have had no problems.

Go for it. Unless they have updated the SkyView file within the last year, the old file did not work. If you email me at [email protected], I will send you a newer file that works.

Brian

SkyView 5v output

Yes, you can use the 5v output from pin 15 from the EMS220.

I have install it in 3 aircraft, including my own, and we have had no problems.

I am a bunch of sensors from mine and it has plenty of power. It has a 200ma output, and most things only use about 10ma each.

Go for it.

Note, Unless they have updated the SkyView file within the last year, the old file did not work. If you email me at [email protected], I will send you a newer file that works.

Brian

5-18v ok

Hello fellow builders, thanks for all your support on this within the group. You can use 5v-18v for 5-10mA draw. We designed all ex 2, 3, 5 units to accept and regulate up to 18v, except some of our older units before early 2021. That said, the 5v pin on the dynon EMS is a great source of fused power.
Jim Ruttler, Aithre

Back