What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAR 23.1327 Compass

Avanza

Well Known Member
The old whiskey compass is no longer in the FAR.
FAR 23.1327, Magnetic direction indicator, no longer exists.
FAR 23.1547, Compass correction card, no longer exists.
The new wording is Magnetic Heading indicator, included in EFIS.

Good luck

The old whiskey compass is no longer in the FAR.
FAR 23.1327, Magnetic direction indicator, no longer exists.
FAR 23.1547, Compass correction card, no longer exists.
The new wording is Magnetic Heading indicator, included in EFIS.

Good luck

Yup. Kinda redundant, it appears. Frankly, I'm glad to have the thing off my glare shield.

Not sure how that matters. Part 23 never applied to E-AB or E-LSA certificated aircraft. For us standard OPLIMs and 91.205 are the governing directives. 91.205’s wording changed to magnetic direction indicator years ago to address the proliferation of magnetometers. So in our world a whisky compass or a magnetometer meets the 91.205 requirement— which one you choose to use is up to you.

Last edited:
Not sure how that matters. Part 23 never applied to E-AB or E-LSA certificated aircraft. For us standard OPLIMs and 91.205 are the governing directives. 91.205’s wording changed to magnetic direction indicator years ago to address the proliferation of magnetometers. So in our world a whisky compass or a magnetometer meets the 91.205 requirement— which one you choose to use is up to you.

Tell that to the DARs who insisted on people installing (or sticking on) wet compasses even though they had EFISes. :)

Tell that to the DARs who insisted on people installing (or sticking on) wet compasses even though they had EFISes. :)

I actually lived that nightmare— but DARs misinterpreting or flat out ignoring the regs is a completely different issue.

I'd say it matters for the reason RV7A Flyer stated above - this is a "discussion" that many RV-ers have to have with their DAR - perhaps this change will help sunset that argument. We can hope.

Back