What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

west system

West

West 105 epoxy, 206 slow hardener and 205 fast hardener.
I recommend reading Dan's Sticky in the Fiberglass Section

I concur with Wirejock. While the West System may cost a little bit more than some brands out there, the "metered pump" system that they have is clean, fast, easy, and accurate. No weighing stuff out and doing the math. A pump of this and a pump of that, and you're good. And for those times when you need a little more and everything is starting to set, speed is a good thing.

While the West System may cost a little bit more than some brands out there, the "metered pump" system that they have is clean, fast, easy, and accurate.

Opinions vary...I think the pump system is truly awful. Get a scale. Measuring by weight opens the door to a wide variety of composite resins, sealants, etc.

Weight

Opinions vary...I think the pump system is truly awful. Get a scale. Measuring by weight opens the door to a wide variety of composite resins, sealants, etc.

Same here. The mix will set up even if it's not precise, but if you have a scale, there are so many other products you can buy. G-FLEX for example. It comes in yorker style bottles. Easy to mix on a scale.
I keep Yorker bottles filled with West products, various solvents and alcohol.

As I've written often before, the best West system is no West system.

For routine epoxy-fiberglass work, we really like the Jeffco (Rhino) 1307-LV. Sold at Aircraft Spruce at a fair bit lower cost than West, and way better epoxy. Won't cold-inhibit and leave you with rubbery parts.

For large lay-ups we weigh out the resin and hardener. For small amounts, we have a pump system that is tuned to the Jeffco mix ratio. It pumps both resin and hardener simultaneously with a single pump stroke delivering 15 grams of resin per stroke. The pump is kind of expensive, but for routine composites shop use making small parts, it is a huge time saver.

We also find we waste far less epoxy, since you can under-estimate the amount you will use, do most of the layup, then quickly just mix another pump dose or two as needed at the end.

The "Best Epoxy" question is probably as settled as the "Best Primer" one :D Personally, I used West and the "crappy pumps" and my airplane turned out fine. YMMV

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/301PUMP.php

Or any that carries West systems in general. Look for a boating supplies place near you.

I thought there was something specific / calibrated to the other brand of epoxy mentioned in that post.

I’ve used the West pumps and they work, but you have to make sure they are primed or the amounts are off. In my experience that leads to pumping away some waste - which could be weighed and used, but then having the pumps is not as useful.

BTW, I used West Marine for my last couple orders because they would ship to the store for pickup. I seem to recall Spruce having a pretty healthy shipping charge. Worth a look anyway.

I bought a lot of my West System epoxy and additives at West Marine boat supplies store (not related). I also got my ANL fuse holder (with clear terminal cover) at West Marine.

I thought there was something specific / calibrated to the other brand of epoxy mentioned in that post.

I’ve used the West pumps and they work, but you have to make sure they are primed or the amounts are off. In my experience that leads to pumping away some waste - which could be weighed and used, but then having the pumps is not as useful.

Want to be 100% dead nuts sure? Weigh every mixture.

As for the relatively inexpensive pumps, like a lot of tools they have their habits. I can tap/slowly actuate the cheap hand pumps to remove the "burp", then give each a full plunge. Been 100% good after starting that habit. Do what makes you comfortable. You too, will probably learn to hate FG work.

Yes

I also used the West system and have had no issues…now if I was building a Velocity, might have a different perspective.

i think i found the best price one time on ebay. worth a look.
throw away medicine cups and a scale have allowed me to use a lot less material. you don't always want a full pump and then the guess work starts.

Why?

I built 4 glass airplanes with one of these, but now just weigh it out. For big layups, or lots of little layups, these are handy.

For RV purposes, suggest 1) you don't use West, 2) weigh it out and 3) make sure it's warm when you are doing glass and/or carbon epoxy work

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/epoxypump.php?clickkey=9858

For most RV builders, the price of the West system epoxy that will be used will be less than the price of that pump alone.

West Systems works absolutely fine for the limited amount of glass work necessary on the RV series of airplanes...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/301PUMP.php

Or any that carries West systems in general. Look for a boating supplies place near you.

This is NOT the pump for the system that Steve recommended. I second Steve's suggestion for the Jeffco (Rhino) 1307-LV. It's good stuff. I no longer use West Systems and for the West stuff, there's no way I'd use their pumps. They leak down and sometimes they only provide a fraction of the intended quantity per pump motion, and you never know how much you'll get for the first pump. After that they are more consistent. Sure are wasteful though.

Get a kitchen scale that reads grams. It'll have a zero function. You'll find it very useful.

Dave

Steve-

Thanks for the input. Do you have a link/name for the pump system?

Thomas

The pump we use looks just like this one. It came pre-set exactly to the 100:23 (by weight) mix ratio for the Jeffco 1307 LV resin. It dispenses 15 grams per pump, positive displacement, never loses prime. We didn't pay this much, but it has been a few years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1320398310...W3PoZiUVlnaS_v7UP_DCzSw9B2Rj-dKhoCLwMQAvD_BwE

I see that West sells this pump as well, pre-set to the 100:20 ratio for their 105 resin. They sell it for quite a bit less than this too. I'm thinking we went straight to the manufacturer, but I can't find a website for them right now.
This type of pump is so much better than the in-can pumps that most West users put up with. But those will work acceptably well for small projects.

For most RV builders, the price of the West system epoxy that will be used will be less than the price of that pump alone.

West Systems works absolutely fine for the limited amount of glass work necessary on the RV series of airplanes...

Just don't let it get cool while curing after you do a layup. It will cold-inhibit and never cure correctly after that. Even baking it in the oven won't cure it once it inhibits.

It also throws a lot of amine blush. (the sticky film that forms on the surface)
It seems a well-guarded secret, but warm soapy water removes the amine blush the best. Oh, well, second best after peeling it off with a peel ply.

I switched to the Jeffco 1307 for structure on Steve's recommendation some time ago, and like it very well. However, I still keep West in the shop because the fast hardener allows sealing and filling jobs to move along faster.

Attachments

• Form, Through Primer.jpg
    Form, Through Primer.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Through Primer 1000w.jpg
    Through Primer 1000w.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 68
Totalboat

I used West Systems for most of the fiberglass on my RV.

I had one of the pumps like Rutan builders used that I got for nothing. I twice rebuilt it because of the resin getting old / crystalline and finally scrapped it.

For the amount of fiberglass work that I do, the West System stuff if good enough but a little pricey compared to other stuff that is just as good.

Totalboat epoxy was discovered / recommended by an composite builder friend that also built an RV. The Totalboat 5:1 is compatible with West Systems and lower cost.

Back