What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Dynon Pitot tube retrofit from VFR pitot

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
I am trying to install a dynon AOA pitot tube in an already built aircraft. I have the wingtip off, inspection plates off, and seat pan off. I cannot find a easy way to route a second pitot tube line and power from the cockpit to the wing pitot location. The builder used aluminum tubing for the pitot tube, and a 1/2 inch conduit going to the wingtip.

Questions:
1. Can I drill the main rib near the aileron rod to accommodate the additional wires and tubing? The original builder filled up the existing hole with wires/plastic tubing for the pitot.

2. Should I run a second conduit from the pitot location to the fuselage through the stamped out holes one over aft of the aileron rods? I would make some sort of clamp that will bolt onto the ribs at each end.

3. Is it feasible to replace the aluminum run with the standard air brake lines? The way the aluminum terminates at the current pitot leaves me little room to continue it to the new location. I'm afraid of work hardening the tube.

If anyone has done this before I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20211205_195610.jpg
    20211205_195610.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20211205_191614.jpg
    20211205_191614.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 135
Back