What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter contactor, ANL and shunt

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
With the aft battery and an aft battery contactor, the starter contactor goes on the left firewall and the OP drawing shows about where to place it. Does anyone have any pictures for an -8 that shows this along with an ANL for the alternator and maybe a shunt?

What’s the best passthru to use? I see on the plans the metal eyes with grommet but in my 14 there were a couple big stainless stuffing boxes. Some good pics of this on a rv8 would be helpful too.

Last edited:
I use one of these for the firewall penetration to route the wires. There are two of them on my firewall. The right side routes the electrical bus wires, the left side routes all the EMS wires. I used stainless steel rivets to attach them instead of using screws as in the kitlog pictures. I don't have pictures since I am at work but PM your email, I can send pictures after I get to the hangar this weekend.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ap/firewalls/firewall_penetration_kit.php

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 58
With the aft battery and an aft battery contactor, the starter contactor goes on the left firewall and the OP drawing shows about where to place it. Does anyone have any pictures for an -8 that shows this along with an ANL for the alternator and maybe a shunt?

What’s the best passthru to use? I see on the plans the metal eyes with grommet but in my 14 there were a couple big stainless stuffing boxes. Some good pics of this on a rv8 would be helpful too.

Here's a couple of pictures for you.

Mount your starter contractor at 90 degrees. This prevents it from inadvertently activating your starter when you're pulling G's. I seem to recall that tip was on an EAA Tips for Homebuilders video.

I used the same pass through that Phat used. Worked great.

Attachments

• 5C2EF8C3-BAFB-4C04-A89F-2C774FA2C845.jpeg
    5C2EF8C3-BAFB-4C04-A89F-2C774FA2C845.jpeg
    726.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 86035571-845B-41FD-B001-C952849E8DBC.jpeg
    86035571-845B-41FD-B001-C952849E8DBC.jpeg
    637.5 KB · Views: 101
Van’s provides a nice SS firewall penetrator on the RV-14 kit. FF-00001 and the FF-00001A backing plate.

I insert a piece of small diameter firesleeve in the penetrator, run the wires, then a larger piece of firesleeve over the entire assembly (on the engine side).

Carl

An updated log entry for you

Hey Dudley,
I was perusing your thread and noticed you found a picture of my project to use as an example, which was a pleasant surprise. I am sending you a newer link to more photos showing the rest of the setup since you also asked about the ANLs/shunts. I bent a piece of stainless to make a raised platform to mount the ANLs/shunts so that one person could easily remove them. There are pictures of fabbing the standoff. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, as I'm always glad to help. ---> http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ear&project=2191&category=0&log=305080&row=14

Very good thank you! Did you have a second firewall wire penetration? I like it low left like you have it rather than high left per the drawings. I’ll probably use the provided site high left to pass in the battery feed line but one penetration low would likely handle everything else. Where did you put your firewall ground lug?

Options

At this time, I do not have plans for a second firewall penetration as this one is not full yet, it has a 1" diameter, and I believe I have all of the wires FWF that I will need to finish. If you used one pass-thru for the heavy battery wire and a second for any remaining wires, you would have lots of room for future options, and there is nothing wrong with that. I do not have a firewall ground lug location yet.

Dynon

If your using Dynon, there is an ANL and Shunt. Check the drawing in the manual. They prefer the Shunt im a certain place in the circuit.
I also used the stainless pass throughs. Power Starboard. Data Port.

Back